Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Yikes


I had another Tums-free night and got a decent night’s sleep (apart from more event-related nightmares) so I decided to resume testing today.  My fasting number was 98 – three points higher than they’d like.  Then I had a some grapenuts with a little maple syrup and a banana and my prenatal and took my blood an hour later.  Much to my horror the number was a whopping 222!!!  Holy crap!  This definitely puts me in the diabetic range, not even pre-diabetic.  Wow.  I will test again in about a half hour, and again an hour after that.  But right now it’s not looking good at all.

Tomorrow (if no Tums during the night) I’ll do a little experiment and eat a very low-carb, low-sugar diet and see how different my numbers are.  If it’s just a question of eggs for breakfast instead of cereal to get my numbers down, then so be it.  But I have to say I’m pretty scared by that 222 number.  That’s, like, really bad.  It’s so irritating because I read all these web sites and have zero symptoms or risk factors.  I mean, if you’re diabetic, wouldn’t you know it?  I don’t feel weak, I don’t feel foggy headed, I’m not tired (unless I don’t sleep), I feel totally normal in every way.  As of today (just shy of 30 weeks, tomorrow) I’m only at 22 pounds weight gain.  But I guess none of this crap matters.  It’s just how your body reacts to hormones and sugars.  I had a rotten experience with morning sickness which a lot of people don’t have, and this had nothing to do with anything except my body’s way of handling things.  So, good times. 

After thinking about the whole shower vs. memorial service thing, at the moment I am more motivated to move it to the day before than try to make the two events work on the same day.  It sucks because already there’s a whole slew of people who can’t make it the day before, but it’s mostly guys who I’m sure would rather not be there anyway (I felt obligated to invite spouses).  The very idea of everyone coming to my shower late, then sitting there tapping their toes and checking their watches and then slipping out early so they can make the long drive down to the memorial just totally bums me out.  It’s going to ruin the whole day for me, honestly.  And I hate to sound like one of these whiny, entitled shower-having people, but really, this is the one shower I’ll ever get, and this memorial being on the same day is going to ruin the whole thing.  I’ll be on edge, and everyone will short change my shower to spend the bulk of the time at the memorial, which really is far more important.  This particular man’s memorial is just about the one single thing that could cause this kind of conflict, because everyone that attends my shower will want to go to the memorial and would not miss it for anything.  My shower, on the other hand, can be missed, or at least glossed over.  Sigh.  Trying to keep some perspective at the moment that it’s just a frickin’ baby shower, for cry-eye.  But it is bumming me out big time.  So hopefully we’ll come up with a workable solution. 

In other news I got just about all of my business tax stuff done, which feels fantastic.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, I do have to still do my own taxes which is a week-long extravaganza, but at least I filed my three business license renewals, my quarterly sales tax (for $9, don’t know why I even bother for how little I sell these days), sent out about 30 1099s, filed three 1096 forms, and did the taxes for the band so I can get my K-1 form for my own taxes.  Having this all done is a huge weight off of me.  And God bless the person who out of nowhere ordered $250 worth of my old DVDs last night.  This, plus my friend still selling my vintage clothes on her Etsy store and paying me for my 1930’s club set, will make it so that I just might be able to make my mortgage for February.  Sometimes it’s the little things.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Moly about your blood sugar numbers!!! Hopefully you'll be able to manage this by what you eat.

    It's too bad you have to change your shower but it seems like the best solution.

    ReplyDelete