Monday, April 30, 2012

The word is wings. Let's spread the word.

Today was my first time apart from the baby since the NICU. It was only about 1 1/2 hours for me to go get a teeth cleaning (originally scheduled for the day I had to go to L&D). My Doula friend came over to watch him. And of course everything worked out just fine. I can honestly say I expected no different. Had I been gone longer I might have felt differently; but I felt no anxiety about leaving him with someone I trust. It's all about the odds. I mean, what are the odds that the one time I have to be apart from him he'll suddenly get sick/choke/fall? Not very good. So I enjoyed my brief trip solo, which didn't feel great or horrible or anything; although I was reminded how much quicker you can do things without a baby in tow!

When I got home I called the drop in babysitting place in Pasadena - I'll go for a tour in two weeks and if I like it I will then have a quick and easy remedy for nights out. Woo hoo! I'm excited to try it out. By then he'll be seven weeks and old enough to be left at a group place like that.

Not surprisingly last night I read the chapter about "crèches" in French society in Bringing Up Bebe, which I think spurred my optimism about starting to leave the baby in someone else's care. French women don't seem to have the same guilt we Americans have about this topic. They view group child care as an important growing tool for the child. The problem is of course finding GOOD child care.

The only unpleasant thing about someone else watching the baby is figuring out the food situation. This morning after a somewhat crappy night with the baby I stumbled around trying to set up my borrowed pump for the first time, washing the parts in cold water hoping this would be ok, then frantically pumping on the floor as the baby slept and the dog barked. I have one small glass bottle a friend gave me which I used; apparently the baby drank about half, was so-so in his approach to the bottle. But at least he could get some nourishment. I figure I'm going to need to pump every day now to build up a supply for baby sitters. I have no idea how much he's going to need. Can't wait until I have this whole thing down and a system going. Right now I'm pretty clueless.

Tonight I am going to attempt to take him to a restaurant for a birthday dinner. If he cries I'll just have to go home. But real soon I can have someone watch him for adult dinners out. Awesome.

3 comments:

  1. He's getting so big! Remember that it is important to take care of yourself. A healthy, happy baby needs a healthy, happy mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you were able to be out without worry. Hope the place in Pasadena works out too.

    When I first started pumping for the purpose of storage, I did it twice a day, in the morning & the evening then reduced that to just the mornings...I just didn't have the energy to do more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been missing in action taking care of my little one. But wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! He is a cutie!!!!

    ReplyDelete