Friday, May 27, 2022

Holiday weekend

As of now, it appears we’ve gotten through the covid wave that’s sweeping the swing dance community unscathed. If I’d caught something Saturday night, odds are I’d know by now. The F is fine, and the kids get tested today at school. No more people have popped up with positives from our gigs or my shower, and those that had it are all recovering. I’m wearing a mask in all situations now. This is too important to screw around. 

My living room is full of wedding stuff. I have all the florals, and all the little extras that I didn’t rent - cutlery, cups for the bar - plus all the alcohol and extra lights I bought, etc. Yesterday we went downtown and bought the F his ring - $60! - and I worked on a dinner music playlist. Pretty much the only thing left is final payments and dropping the check at the venue this weekend. It’s all coming together. If only my event were this simple!

As I had hoped, we’re heading to the desert this weekend, possibly tonight. I can’t wait. It’ll be a good time to work on vows and contemplate. I would love to get a fire pit/hammock area built, but that may be too involved. It will be great to have someday though. Also set up a screen on the side of the shipping container for movies. I want to make sure there’s plenty to do out there so the kids don’t get bored.

On this trip I intend to lean into the place a little more - last time we didn’t have a broom and so didn’t clean up or move anything around; this time I want to get all the construction materials put away and really clean the place out so we can move freely in there. The F seems to be willing to take the occasional trip there this summer, weather permitting, so I feel like we should make it as inhabitable as possible until the real work can begin on it at the end of the year when the neighbor comes back. 

The boys have only eight days of school left after today - Theo’s done with homework for the year, and Bobby’s rounds of 4th grade testing are over. Normally I’d be mildly panicked that my co-parent, school, is ending - I know this was a big issue last year - but this time they go right to camp the next Monday, so all it means to me is that I no longer have to charge their school devices or hound them to do homework. And we get to get up an hour later, which is heaven.




No comments:

Post a Comment