Wednesday, January 20, 2021

A new era

Can we all exhale now? Yes, yes we can. My level of delight and relief today is exactly even to the level of horror and disgust I had on this occasion four years ago. God! It’s over! The sickening last gasp, the death rattle of Republicanism, white supremacy, xenophobia, everything wrong with this country, is done. Four years ago I could only hope what we were experiencing was a blip in our history - a temporary, ugly setback, much like Nazism in Germany - and as of today it appears that this may be true. Inshallah.

Since we’re hours behind here on the west coast, the swearing in all happened as I was hustling to get the kids ready for school (thankfully I was able to sit down and watch in those exact moments), then Theo’s ipad wasn’t working, then I had his IEP meeting (he’s graduated from speech lessons, hooray!), then Theo lost another tooth. So I never got a big moment to really sit with the feelings today. I hope I get that later tonight while watching the inauguration ball. I need to relish this moment. 



Speaking of relishing - I took the kids to the drive thru donut place to celebrate. I’m not sure if they entirely understand what’s happening and how extraordinary it all is, despite how many times I’ve told them that none of this is normal; that usually you barely pay attention to minor policies or ceremonies or senate votes. 

Is Republicanism done? Honestly? I hope so. At this point that party just stands for everything that sucks. It’s a dinosaur. Evolve or die, that’s what I say.




No comments:

Post a Comment