Monday, January 18, 2021

Lake Arrowhead escape

We just returned from our long weekend in Lake Arrowhead. It’s funny to think when I booked this I had had hopes of another family, or maybe my sister and brother-in-law, joining us. There was an unused bedroom and bathroom on the ground floor. However, the boys delighted in their own room with twin beds and lots of teddy bears (and a TV, oh boy! I had to keep hiding their remote so they didn’t spend all night watching gamer videos). We had a luxurious king bed and an oversized jetted bathtub. I’m so used to us roughing it on these trips that I sort of didn’t know what to do with all the finery. 

As far as activities, it was a bit of a hodge podge; believe me, as much as I love our trips, trying to do anything in public during a pandemic is a huge drag. We’ve eaten countless meals in the car, and driven away from places because they were just too crowded. The first day we sort of drove around aimlessly but found a couple of decent nature hikes; the second day we went to snow valley for some sledding, which was less than stellar. The whole thing cost about $200, was insanely crowded with near zero social distancing (if we all get Covid in the next week, that is 100% where we caught it...ugh), and the boys were sick of it after about a half hour (of course). We missed the big snow last week and instead hit a heat wave (it was 80s-90s in LA, 60s up in the mountains) and this week it snows again. Our timing was terrible. Oh well. I enjoyed the big trees and clean air and just being somewhere else for a few days. No complaints. 

As always, I offset the sadness of leaving by booking a Malibu beach site for us in June as soon as the boys are off school. 

One more full day under Trump’s jackboot of tyranny and then we are done with him. Reading Biden’s agenda for his first one hundred days fills me with hope. It really is like we just lived the entire arc of The Yellow Submarine - from blue meanies turning us all into statues, one silent tear coursing down our cheeks as a monster comes and eats our pinwheel, the only thing we have left that brings us any joy, to the same blue meanies being chased back over the hill screaming by a riot of music and love and color. If anyone ever asked me what these four years have been like, I would say just watch that movie. It’s shockingly accurate. 







No comments:

Post a Comment