Sunday, March 18, 2012

Home delivery


No, not birthing – grocery delivery!  I just signed up for this service because I believe I am now no longer in the position to haul five-seven heavy grocery bags up three flights of stairs to my house.  I could do it (slowly), I just don’t want to.  Since my schedule is flexible it appears I can have my groceries delivered for only about $4 (plus a tip for the delivery guy of course).  I don’t think I’ll do this forever – but for late term pregnancy/newborn time I think (I hope) this will be a huge help to me.  Yesterday just thinking about all the giant, heavy things I needed to get was stressing me out.  Now I no longer have to buy by weight! (something I used to do when I lived in five storey walk-ups in NYC and never really got out of the habit of).

The produce selections were pretty piss-poor so I may keep my produce buying to the farmer’s market in the future.  I’m none too keen on someone else selecting my tomatoes and bananas.  I sure hope this works out.  My last attempt at avoiding trips and long waits on lines, having my post office pick up my packages, was a complete disaster.  I shelled out big $$ online for priority shipping packages which I wouldn’t have used otherwise, got about thirty packages of fliers put together to be picked up by the post office, only to have them come pick them up and then drop them back on my porch six hours later with a note on each package saying they were overweight and due to security concerns had to be taken to the post office.  So I haul this giant box to the post office (with a friend’s help) thinking we can just jump the line and drop them since they were all pre-paid – nope.  Had to stand on line and then wait as they processed and labeled each of the thirty packages with a barcode sticker and a stamp that said $0.  What a pain in the ass! So let’s just hope the grocery delivery works out better, shall we?

I intended to have a lazy day yesterday, but it was not to be.  A woman making a documentary about swing dancing had wanted to come over and interview me, so we had set up a time and I naively thought it would take about an hour or two (I just did this with someone else a couple of weeks ago and that’s how long it took). So I had to do my hair, wear a cute outfit, put on full makeup, and make the house somewhat presentable (I’m really glad I gave the bathroom a quick go-over before she got here).  The house ended up being full of giant lights and camera equipment (I was completely paranoid the whole day that we’d blow my electricity) and the interview took FIVE HOURS.  Now for the record I was happy to do it (lord knows I love to pontificate) and I’m glad I did since everyone has been in this doc and it would be weird if I weren’t. But I was pretty shocked when I checked my watch at the end and found it to be 7 PM. Then just as I was settling down to my first meal of the day my tax lady called and I had to walk her through my entire tax return for two hours – she just could not grasp the concept that I have been in the habit of including my entire income in the number I give her; I don’t subtract the 1099 amounts I get (and PayPal is now 1099-ing everyone which is causing a lot of confusion, since that’s where most of my income comes from).  So we had to go over subtracting those amounts over and over to get to my actual income. At least this, and a few other minor tweaks, brought my outrageous tax bill down from $5000 to about $2500.  Still almost twice what I’ve ever paid, but I do have to remember I spent a lot less this year.  And $2500 to me seems reasonable.  Oh, I still can’t pay it – I will have to borrow the money – but it’s better than $5000.  All I want is for the damned return to be correct and accurate; one of these days I’m going to be audited and I don’t want any dumb mistakes. Why do I trust this lady who can’t figure out how to calculate my actual income?  Right now I’m kind of wondering.

I had a paranoia I was going to go into labor this weekend after the word “induction” was thrown my way (apparently this happens a lot), but so far so good.  I often wonder when I say to myself and others that “he’s not ready” what I’m really saying is “I’m not ready”. Because I’m really not.  I think I’m just so married to that due date – March 29 – that I can’t really accept it could happen at any other time, especially not early. Technically everything is in place so I am “set up” in that sense, which does feel good. It’s just a weird mental thing; I tend to get very anal retentive about dates and times and I know I need to just let that go. Also it sure would be a relief to be done with these NSTs and people bullying me; the thought of getting to my due date, and then passing it, and then getting to that time when you really can’t argue against induction anymore, scares me a lot. Right now I can still say with certainty that it’s too early to induce; in just a week or so that justification will evaporate. Phew. Not looking forward to that at all.

Well, me and the babe had a little discussion last night.  I told him he doesn’t have to do anything he doesn’t want to do and he can come out whenever he feels like it. And if he wants to come out right now and meet everyone I’m ok with that, and if he wants to hang out and grow some more that I’m ok with that, too, that it’s his birth and he only gets one and he gets to call the shots. So, we’ll see what he decides and I’ll just be along for the ride!

1 comment:

  1. I love the conversation you had with your boy! & such a great idea about grocery deliver!! even if you have to run out for a few essentials, having the bulk delivered is such relief.

    ReplyDelete