Friday, June 2, 2023

Plan C

Yesterday as I was laboring for hours to get the treasurer paperwork in order for the new person who will be sworn in on Tuesday (hallelujah), I didn’t answer a phone call that came in. It didn’t have a name but I thought it looked like the number of the magnet councelor that wanted Bobby to go to the highly gifted program next year. Since I already decided Bobby wouldn’t go, I let it go to voicemail. But my phone often doesn’t show me I have a voicemail until many hours - even days - later, so nothing popped up, and I forgot about it. 

After school we attended a fun farewell to the 5th graders party (most of 5th grade is leaving school for junior high elsewhere). Those of us staying for 6th commiserated about how much we don’t like that 6th grade next year will be a 5/6 split, and how those 5th graders may include the extremely problematic 4th graders of this year who have been the talk of the school with their bullying and misbehavior. 

I got home and just couldn’t get to sleep, so at 2 AM I got out of bed, and saw the voicemail had arrived from the earlier call. It was indeed the magnet counselor who was calling, and with some very interesting news…the school *might* be willing to admit Theo, as well, if I could send over his latest report card. She said she would need it by today and would go beg the principal once she got it. I frantically dug around for the report card - thankfully I put it somewhere obvious and didn’t toss it - scanned and emailed it, and then first thing this morning got the response that yes, Theo can attend 4th grade in the gifted program. I accepted, and she sent information on how to meet with the school next week to get them both enrolled. So that’s it. We have five more days at Mount Washington Elementary and then we’ll never go there again. I’m full of emotions about it all. 

Plan A had been for both kids to finish out their time at MWE and graduate.

Plan B had been for Bobby to attend the highly gifted program at this other school for one year while Theo finished up at MWE and graduated 6th grade.

Now we’re on to the unexpected Plan C, which is both boys leave school - Bobby for one year of the highly gifted program and Theo for three years of the gifted program. Despite my reluctance to leave MWE - emotional attachment, really - this is really what’s best for them both. I’m really happy for Theo that he gets this opportunity at such a young age; I can see him really blossoming in an environment like that. 

And Bobby can have a much better environment for 6th grade than his current arrangement would provide, and, as it turns out, being at this new school will pretty much guarantee he can go to any jr high he wants, which would not be the case if he stayed at MWE. He’ll get twelve points just for one year in a gifted program. And Theo will get those points plus sibling points, so will also have his pick of schools. 

And for me, I’ll still have two kids in one school. And if they do move on to the jr/sr high I have my eye on, it’s only 3 minutes from this school, so for the two years they’d be apart the drop offs would still be really easy. 

I can’t believe all of this is happening in the last week of school. Right now these kids don’t know - I’m waiting for the H to be around so we can tell them together - and I’m rehearsing how to frame it. I know B will be exasperated by all the changes - first it’s on, then off, then on again. But I think this is a really good reason to change course. I’m excited to see who they can be, put into a different environment than just regular ol’ school. I really think they’ll rise to the occasion. 

Here’s Bobby at his 5th grade party not knowing it’ll be the last ever with these kids and this school. Phew! This is going to be a big transition. I’m glad I have a weekend in the desert to sort out my feelings about it all. 




No comments:

Post a Comment