Sunday, May 28, 2023

Two more weeks

I’m enjoying(?) an empty and unfocused holiday weekend. I hate letting a three day weekend go by with no plans, but there were extenuating circumstances - a) my summer residency at Knott’s starts tonight, and I have a jazz club gig before it, which means a full 12 hour day of singing, and b) our anniversary is next weekend so we’ll go to the desert then. Also, the cabin is not completed, although I wouldn’t have known about that before.

Where the cabin stands now, is they were unable to finish in the time allotted, they said, in part because of all the crap we left in there that they had to keep moving around. I felt appropriately guilty - we left the stuff in there, which was all construction stuff left by the guy who ripped us off - under the impression they could use it (scaffolding, saw horses, wood, etc). But of course in retrospect I see this probably wasn’t the best idea. However, we were able to bundle a return trip along with full siding and painting. Which is supposed to happen at the end of this week and beginning of next, depending on wood delivery. It’s going to cost a lot, but I feel like it’s a necessity at this point - I can’t just leave the place vulnerable to the elements through another hot summer. Best to get it all done now, and then the only other large project remaining will be the overhang and porch, which can wait. I won’t celebrate until the work is actually done - nothing may happen this week - but agreements are signed and deposits are paid, so things are in motion. Either way we can stay out there next weekend and see what it’s like to be in a place with windows and closed walls. It’s going to be very different. Part of me will sort of miss the wildness of the old spidery place. 

The boys only have nine days of school left, and we’re all just hanging in there. Bobby did his big final project - an invention called the SnakVest, which he made little felt food items for. 



I don’t think a lot of kids are staying for 6th grade - it appears 6th grade will be a 5/6 split, which I’m not crazy about. Most kids are going to Washington Irving middle school, which is the hot ticket these days apparently. I had a chat with a mom whose older boy is going to eagle rock jr/sr high, who likes it, and says although they got wait listed for the gifted program, he still gets access to a lot of the program anyway. So if Bobby doesn’t make it into the gifted program, we may end up just doing that. But it’s hard to say - now that Bobby’s been switched to “highly gifted”, that does change the trajectory a bit. Is it better to have him go to a regular jr high but then try for the only highly gifted high school, in north Hollywood? And forget about eagle rock entirely? Who knows. You make these decisions and never know if they’re the right ones until you’re already committed. At least with Bobby staying at his elementary school another year I’ve kicked the can down the road for now. 

I’m still dealing with the morass that is the treasurer mess - we have two more years of tax returns to fix and file - and I need to clean things up for the next potential treasurer, who is supposed to call me for a chat to see what the job entails, and believe me I’m going to give an Oscar-worthy performance on how easy it is and how she should do it. If she declines I don’t really know where to go from there. I plan on writing out a roadmap of how to do the work, however, with important dates and filings and things to look out for, something that wasn’t done for me and would have made it so none of this mess would have happened. The new person is supposed to be voted in a week from Tuesday. I hope to god it happens. Handing this over - even though I’ll still have to work to fix things afterwards - will no doubt be one of the happiest days of my life. 

The reality of my event being three months away is hitting now. Although I’ve done some of the more complicated work early - class schedule, staff room bookings, t shirt design - I now have to focus on buying about 15 flights, putting together the judge schedule, finalizing the sound people and DJs, etc etc. I also found out that my extra room block is now full, so I have to decide how to proceed. This is going to be a delicate dance and one I have to do very carefully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment