Thursday, May 11, 2023

And it’s a…

No. The hotel said they think it’s best if I just stick with my contracted dates. Boooo.

I’m pretty disappointed. I’m having a similar feeling as to when I made a pass at my long-time friend and was shot down - only less mortifying, I guess. I had talked about the date change so much with friends that I was getting pretty amped at the possibility. It doesn’t mean I can’t move the dates in 2026 - I may have to, if the room rates are better that weekend - but for now, everything stays the same. And no money for me. Oh well. It was a reach. As an MC of a dance contest once opined, “sometimes, when you reach for the stars, it’s a long way to fall.”

Next up I have a tax consultation scheduled for two weeks from now which will hopefully give me a ballpark of what I can expect this year and allow me to prepare properly so I’m not surprised. I’m afraid taxes might suck up any above-living-cost profits, which would suck big time. But that may just be what I’m facing. Once again, dreams of paying off my house early dashed. 

I’m also facing a bit of a tidal wave on two very unpleasant fronts - my credit card processing company has flagged me for an audit due to my unusually high sales, and demanded years and years of financial records that I just don’t have (cash flow sheets and quarterly statements and all this shit). I wasn’t able to submit what information I do have online because their system was broken (or at least, broken for me, on every platform I tried); after hours on their online help chat, they had me email the information instead, but the website still thinks I haven’t submitted anything and is threatening to cut off my service in three days. FUN. 

Also, I got an email from that big federal grant that they’re starting the close out process EXCEPT for people like me who have outstanding audits. I submitted my information six months ago and have still heard nothing. It’s been so long that I’m having a hard time even remembering what I agreed to or what the parameters were back in 2020; I’m terrified I’m going to be asked to give back a ton of money. And yet I just sit here and wait. It’s been a sword of Damocles over my head since November and I’m just so over it. 

The contractor is meant to start today, unless the wood isn’t ready to be picked up, in which case they’ll start tomorrow. I’m anxiously watching my security cameras but so far no one has rolled up. At least the company texted me first, for once, to give me an update yesterday, and says all of the work should be done by end of next week. I’m skeptical, but hopeful. With all these stressful things going on I’m glad there’s one thing happening that will resolve an ongoing issue. Yesterday I killed time by perusing the ikea showroom for bed frames and mattresses. I figure we need a daybed downstairs for guests and then three beds for us. I still don’t know how we’re going to pull off getting a uhaul, shopping and picking up all that stuff at ikea, getting all the big, heavy furniture out of the shed, driving out there, and setting everything up. Sounds like a multi-day process to me. But I get ahead of myself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment