Monday, May 1, 2023

Opening night

My opening night for my event was a success, I’m pleased to announce. The system worked flawlessly (except for one person being able to register hours before the tickets went live, which is still puzzling me), no complaints from anyone. Thank god. I was a nervous wreck. I’m stumbling around a bit finding my way with small refunds and contest switching and things like that, but hopefully soon I’ll know it like the back of my hand. Was my old system easier to use and did it have better features? Yes. Sigh. Nothing gold can stay. 

Right now, after being open for about three and a half hours, I have over 400 people. That’s really good - although my inability to keep records means I don’t have a reference point from previous years, other than bank statements. So I know I’m making more money, but that’s because I raised prices. I know that the contests are taking a little longer to fill up - it’s not the frenzy it was in 2018 and 2019, or even 2020 for that matter. But I’m not unhappy with how it’s going. It’s definitely going as I’d hoped. I can’t wait to get that first deposit on Thursday so I can pay myself back and pay my credit card and the sound guy his deposit. It’ll be great to exhale.

I put up the link to the overflow hotel. Despite what everyone had promised me, they were unable to make the rooms pre-paid, which means people are more likely to cancel at the last second and leave me with a $20,000 bill. I’m pretty unhappy about that - but with my guaranteeing only 25 rooms, us being four months out, and every room in the area going for $300-$400, I can’t imagine I’ll end up owing that. It’s still scary, though. 

Our trip to Vegas for the rockabilly event was fun, but was marred by physical ailments - I got my period the first day, and was outrageously bloated, so nothing fit and I was pinched and squeezed by all my clothes; my hemorrhoids were raging and making me miserable; and I made the tragic mistake of wearing heels the whole time, having forgotten that everything there is miles apart (the first day I walked a total of 3.5 miles in extremely uncomfortable 3 inch heels, which just about killed me). So I was in pain, bloated and bleeding from all orifices the whole time I was there. Despite this, I scored on the vintage clothing front, enjoyed time with friends, had a blast getting dressed up, danced a bit despite my miserable feet, and got to do the stroll a few times which I always find hypnotic and zen-like. It was fun to be in that environment which is a lot more edgy and dangerous than our squeaky clean Lindy hop world. It reminds me of what our scene was more like in the 90s, made up of ex-punks and street kids. 



Of course upon return the boys looked years older. Theo has been a real champ with his Invisalign trays - shockingly responsible and diligent. They always surprise me with just how on top of things they can be, when necessary. He starts a new set of trays on Wednesday. I had Invisalign about 20 years ago and I remember how painful the first day with new trays can be. I hope it’s not too bad.

There’s only six weeks of school left, since they moved the last day of school up a week, which I sadly will not be here for since I’ll be at my cousin’s wedding in Boston. I’m really bummed, but at least I’m not missing Bobby’s 6th grade graduation which is next year. Nothing exciting is happening this year. I need to see when the local rec center camp opens - if I remember correctly it was about mid-May, and I don’t want to miss it. 

We’re going to head out to the cabin Friday night to drop the wood burning stove that’s been in the H’s trunk for weeks. I have not heard from the new contractor, but I figure there’s not much to say right now anyway - I imagine towards the end of the week they’ll want to coordinate keys and all that. So either he’s waiting on materials and will contact me when there’s a solid plan, or I just got ripped off again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment