Monday, June 12, 2023

Summertime sorta

Our relentless June gloom continues, but it looks like it may lift by the end of the week, which would be very welcome. Weeks of grey skies and cool temperatures is not terribly motivating. 

Today we moved on to the intermediary phase, which is summer, in which the kids are in the holding tank known as rec center summer camp. Theo was more enthused about it than Bobby, which is not surprising. I told them to ask kids their age if they go to their new school. Especially for Theo, I’d hope he’d make some new friends before school starts. He’s the one that’s at the new school for the long haul (three years). 

My trip east went well. Five of us stayed in an Airbnb in east Boston and had large groups of other relatives over for breakfast each day, which was a chaotic riot of managing plates and cups and plates of scrambled eggs and buttered toast from under the broiler. My cousin’s wedding was lovely and everyone admired my 40s outfit to the point that I was worried I was attracting too much attention to myself. Dressing 40s is the only way I know how to look fancy. 



As always now, most discussions revolved around getting older and our decaying bodies. My sister was worried about her step mother’s mental and physical decline - and it’s definitely evident; well, this is the phase of life we’re in. It’s nice to think we’ll all be spry and sharp and then just die in bed, but that’s rarely the case - usually there’s years of depressing shutting down, and that’s just part of life. I’ve seen it so many times now with our dance old timers. You can’t help them, we all have to go through it. But you can walk beside them so they’re not alone. 

As hoped, the trip did knock me mostly out of my blues over school ending. I sent the principal flowers she hopefully will get today since today is the official last day of school. Sadly I still have a certain amount of treasurer work to do, so I may still have to go to the school to pick up checks and things like that, which is a huge drag. When I am done with things I like to just have a clean break. Well, I may have to shove some of these jobs on to the new person in a couple of weeks. I’m seriously losing incentive to keep going at this point. 

So now we’re in summer mode even though it doesn’t feel like summer. Later wake ups, hopefully later pickups, no homework, no school things to keep track of. It’s like all parents, kids, and school employees are able to take a deep breath and exhale. I’m here for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment