Thursday, March 11, 2021

School?

Today was the day we’ve all been waiting almost a year for - we got word from LAUSD with a concrete plan for return to school. Kids will either do an 8AM-11AM or noon-3PM shift, five days a week, hopefully starting in mid-April (am I right or am I right?). I’m glad it’s every day, but of course three hours doesn’t allow you to do shit. Maybe in those first days I’ll just enjoy the quiet of my empty house. Of course, any number of things could render this plan null and void - such as infection rates not being where they need to be. I’m trying to prepare to be disappointed, but it’s hard. People will lose their goddam minds if they dangle this carrot in front of us and then snatch it away. And by “people” I mean “me”. 

So, two more weeks in March, then spring break, then potentially one or two weeks in April, then we’re back. Even if we’re not back, it’s only two months until summer anyway. Also, kids will have to endure nasal swab tests every week that I have to arrange and take them to at a separate location. Good times. 

Not surprisingly, nearly all of the places we saw in the desert over the weekend were sold by Monday. Also the nicer one in Joshua Tree that had sat on the market for two years. It’s extremely frustrating. I feel like I’ve already missed the boat, and am experiencing what everyone who’s tried to buy a house in the last fifteen years has experienced - everything is snapped up within minutes of listing by investors and flippers with cash offers. I saw three more places get listed and then go under contract within hours this week. 

However, there is one place in JT that I called about - as I was about to ask my first question about the place, the realtor said, “let me stop you right there. You don’t want this place. It’s next to a grow farm.” I said I wasn’t necessarily deterred by that fact...but of course it gives me pause. You don’t want to be next door to a criminal enterprise (even if it’s now legal). However, a) we’re not moving there, just visiting occasionally and b) knowing the BF he’ll probably go over there, become their best friends and end up with a lifetime supply of free weed. We’ll look at it this weekend. It’ll probably suddenly be under contract in the next hour. 

It’s such a strange few days. Everyone remembering where they were this time last year (honestly, I can’t bear to think about it), and me personally remembering seven years ago when I didn’t know yet in just two days I’d have a baby. I can’t believe this kid is going to be seven. I am officially out of “little kid” territory. There’s no more daily crying, bad butt wiping or bed wetting. Bobby is currently doing his own laundry. Time flies, huh? 




No comments:

Post a Comment