Thursday, October 1, 2020

October

It’s October. Month seven of our pandemic. It’s 100 degrees and painfully dry, with still poor air quality from local and not-so-local fires. The kids are trading nosebleeds. 

My friends in Orange County, their kids are back in school. I’m so jealous. There’s no end in sight for us in LAUSD. Although, I have been seeing articles about LAUSD contracting with a testing company. So it may be that testing and not lower numbers or a vaccine is the answer.

Speaking of testing, Hawaii is opening its doors October 15th to those who have gotten negative tests right before travel. This may not even happen - they’ve pushed things back and changed tactics so many times. But airlines are starting to offer testing before Hawaii flights, so I took a leap last night and used my refunded points and miles to re-book our canceled summer Kauai trip for first week of January. It’s easy to cancel and get everything back in my account. I’m fairly confident it’ll be easy to get the whole family tested within 72 hours of arrival, and everyone on the plane will have been tested, and our time there will be 100% on beaches, so I figure the risks are minimal. Oh, I hope it happens. But rising numbers and/or civil unrest (war?) and/or shut downs could dash our plans once again. 

Last night I decided to apply for unemployment. I’m past the period required for the PPP loan, and at this point I’m not hopeful there’ll be another one. My refinance is done, and there’s going to be zero income for the foreseeable future. I can live off loans, but why should I? It’s not my fault the event got canceled. I have no income. I’m required to stay home 24/7 and homeschool children. If anyone deserves unemployment I’ve been paying into for decades, it’s me. We’ll see how that goes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment