Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Spider-Man and Theopocalypse

Today I took pictures of the boys in their hastily bought Costco Halloween costumes for their school’s sad “virtual Halloween parade”. And thus begins the suckage that is the 2020 holiday season, no doubt to be pockmarked with election anxiety and unrest, poverty, and death. Yay.

Last night the school held its annual middle school fair, this time of course virtual, which means for the first time I was able to attend. The business of applying to middle school is very complicated...and since these applications must be in in two weeks and whatever you get you have to take it or risk losing all your points and starting over...honestly, I think I’m going to wait until next year, this year’s points be damned. I’d much prefer to tour some schools before applying, and there’s also the business that since schools closed in March just days before Bobby would have been tested to see if he was “gifted” or not and one of the schools I’m interested in only takes gifted kids, it’s better to wait. That school in question is Eagle Rock jr/sr High, which is very appealing to me since it would run from 6th-12th grade so the boys could be together for a long time. But there are tons of good options. Most likely Bobby will just go to our local middle school, Luther Burbank, which put on a decent presentation and Bobby likes best anyway. 

It felt weird to think about things that are three years away. It almost made me feel like we have a future, you know? I’m glad at least other people are acting like we do. 

After much anxiety, my unemployment debit card arrived, and after hours of messing around with apps and passwords and confirmation codes and PIN numbers, I’m glad to say that my first unemployment payment is on its way to my actual bank account. There’s a sigh of relief. It also occurred to me that, with the good potential for zero income next year, I need to get us all back on MediCal. Even if I’m only on it for six months, that’s thousands of dollars in savings. It’s worth the hassle. I mean, who knows when I’m going to be solvent again? It could be years. MediCal is precisely designed for people in my predicament. I’ll apply when open enrollment starts in two weeks. 

Saturday we go to the dealer to buy my car now that my lease is up. I’m dreading the crappy deal I’m going to be stuck with - probably a couple thousand out of my pocket and a higher payment just for the privilege of continuing to drive the car I’ve been driving for three years. I could just turn it in and not have a car and save some money...but with the BF gone for long stretches now, I’m not too keen on being trapped at home with two kids and no car. Things aren’t quite that dire yet. Also, his car is constantly on the verge of collapse. We need at least one car that’s in excellent shape. 

Tomorrow is our final presidential debate. I hope Trump embarrasses himself again, Biden stays on message, and we can all exhale a little bit because we’ll never have to be tortured by the orange menace for an hour or two on tv ever again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment