Saturday, August 29, 2020

Week two down

We survived our second week of “school”, and because for once it wasn’t the night before my event and was conducted online, I was able to attend Back to School night. So, that’s a first.

The boys did well. Theo’s stuff is more in flux - the teacher changes up procedures fairly regularly, and we’re all still trying to figure out tough stuff for kids this age - should they be typing answers? Writing with their finger with a draw tool? Writing on paper and then taking a picture and sending it? Should I correct his spelling errors as I see them or just let them be? I think it’s hard for everyone to assess exactly what works best for first graders in this situation. Dragging him through his independent work every day sucks big time. He just wants to run and jump and kick and climb. It’s like trying to get a monkey to sit down and solve a rubix cube. Good luck with that.

I have become obsessed with winter camping in Death Valley. I mean...what former/current goth doesn’t love the idea of being in a place called Death Valley?? Also, I’ve kind of fallen in love with remote desert camping after our water tank camping experience. It’s pretty magical. And I want to continue our camping magic as long as I can. Our big hurdles are the school schedule (of course randomly this year there are almost no three day weekends) and not knowing if the BF is going to get a job that prohibits his leaving town. So the plan I’ve formulated is Death Valley for the first part of the Thanksgiving week off - and I want to rent a trailer or small RV because the nights will be very cold and apparently there’s intense winds, which all sounds awful in tents and trying to cook dinner outside. I think it’s worth the expense of renting a camper of some kind. We already have a trip to Joshua Tree set for a month from now and we may head up to lake Isabella one more time in October. If Death Valley works out in Nov maybe we can go over Christmas, too. I was hoping to cash in our free trip to Hawaii over Christmas...but Hawaii is really hurting right now. Somehow I don’t see them welcoming visitors by then. But...you never know. 

For now, the kids are safe and happy, and I’m having the least amount of stress in years the weekend before Labor Day - there is some stress due to the virtual event still being in place; but maybe 10% of what I normally experience. It sucks because we all wish “normal life” could be this easy going...but the reason it’s this easy going is because I’m prohibited from earning a living right now. When I subtract the SBA money and refinance money from my bank account, I only have about $10,000 left, which will be gone in two months. By the end of the year I will be officially living on credit only. I wish I could open for registration on Feb 1 like usual and start having an income again, but right now that looks pretty impossible, and I’m trying to make peace with the fact that next year will likely be a loss year, too, even if I am allowed to have a live event. It’s a heartbreaking thought but pretty likely, since so many people have been financially devastated or will be over the next few months. It’s just bad news all around.




No comments:

Post a Comment