Friday, August 21, 2020

Day two

Today went a little better as both boys were able to be on their school-supplied devices, thus freeing up our computers (not that I dared use mine with the internet being so taxed with two zoom meetings going on at once). Bobby’s stuff is working fine - Theo’s independent work is still not possible as the program he’s on, Skies, still won’t let him record videos or take pictures and won’t launch story videos for him to watch (I just have him watch on my phone). So if they can just fix that, and get us an internet hot spot, we’ll be in business. 

I nipped out for a hike in the morning before the full heat of the day set in, and felt relaxed enough to attempt a fast day, which felt totally impossible yesterday. I’m going to maximize this time with the BF still here before he inevitably has to be gone during the day. I might try to sneak out for a friend lunch next week, we’ll see how it goes. 

Theo’s class so far has been two hours of zoom followed by a few short assignments on Skies which we mostly can’t do. No homework yet for anyone. Theo’s teacher says the zoom sessions will get longer next week; I don’t know what that means for his schedule. I hope things stay relatively like this. This, I can manage, especially when Bobby is entirely self-directed right now (thank god). I’m getting used to throwing lunch together in a short amount of time and managing Theo while Bobby still has a few more hours of school. I wish their school days were identical, but I also know at his age it’ll be that much harder to pay attention from 9-2 each day. Ugh. 

I’m having an inferiority complex looking at the super moms on FB with their clever classroom setups. The BF joked we should take a picture of B on the toilet with his laptop and post it as our awesome setup. Ha ha. The truth isn’t too far off. B left the kitchen table today and did various setups around the house because he was so uncomfortable. It’s going to be a work in progress, no doubt. 

How many months will we be doing this? What will it look like when we return to school? Christmas? January? Spring? End of school year? Start of 4th and 2nd grade? Worse? I read an article today that said the WHO cautioned that any vaccine will not end this pandemic and that we’re all going to have to accept things will never return to the way they were. I think that’s a bit dire...but I agree a vaccine alone won’t be a home run, especially with the propaganda machine already causing nearly half the population to state they won’t ever get it. It fills me with fear that I won’t be able to run an event next year. I can still make it...kinda...by using all of that SBA money and putting me impossibly in debt. But I worry for the future of my event and dance in general if we have to take two years off. How many money-losing events will I have to produce after that before I can make a profit again? Will our band ever have a place to play again?? Still, if things are really that bad, there will be far more people in big trouble than me - concert venues, sports, movie theaters, live theater, all events and gatherings...if we all have to shut our doors until 2022 or later, there’s just going to have to be some kind of assistance. And not just loans that all have to be paid back with interest. 

In the meantime, we’re safe, our bills are paid, school has begun and we’re managing. My virtual event is moving along. I can’t complain, really. 







1 comment:

  1. I’m glad things are pretty good for you guys, at least for now. You make good points about the future and music/dance events!

    ReplyDelete