Friday, August 7, 2020

Classrooms

After checking my mail compulsively fifteen times yesterday, at last the boys’ class assignments arrived. I fielded texts, FB posts and Bloomz posts all day. In the end...I feel a bit meh. Theo did not get Bobby’s first grade teacher - none of us know this one. Many of Bobby’s friends he’s had in his classes since kindergarten are not in his class this year, which makes me sad for him. But his teacher is supposed to be excellent, and he’s back in the same class as the kid he had his first kindergarten play date with, whose mother is the only mom I’ve socialized with who also happens to be PTA president this year, so that’s huge. The full class rosters will be posted Monday. You best believe I’ll be up there snapping pictures. At least some of our school time rituals can remain the same. No supplies or new backpacks this year, but at least we have this. I’m still fantasizing about the day (next school year?) when the kids are old enough to hang out at Beyond the Bell after school and then walk home and let themselves in the house. As sad as it is, I think the days of the kids going to the local rec center after school program are probably over. It’s so weird to think how I picked them up on Friday the 13th of March - Theo’s birthday - grabbed their backpacks...and after years of preschool, summer camps and afterschool, they would never go there again...without even a proper goodbye...it’s so sad I can hardly wrap my mind around it. 

I had a confab with my streamer guys today, and the contest videos are starting to be sent in by the contestants for my virtual event. It’s so weird to see people actually participating in this crazy thing I decided to do. It’s actually working...people are actually a part of it. It’s pretty exciting.

Tuesday we go on our last hurrah camping trip to Lake Isabella for the rest of the week. Then school starts the following week. It looks like just orientation-type stuff for the first few days, then actual schoolwork starting on Thursday. We still have crappy internet and no real work spaces for the boys. Last year we had Bobby at the kitchen table and Theo in his room - they have to be separated. But neither area is really comfortable or set up correctly for sitting and staring at a computer all day. We may have to figure this out once we see what the school day actually looks like. I heard the school day doesn’t start until 9 AM. I can live with that. Overall, I’m not mad about it. The only things that concern me are not being able to get exercise, and having to make lunch every day (assuming the BF has a day job which is still up in the air and may be for weeks or months). 

In the meantime I’m making strawberry ice cream and trying to live in the moment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment