Thursday, May 28, 2020

Two more weeks of school

School is winding down. Bobby’s assignments are slightly less now - and as of next week, only math and his final school project, a diorama on fire ants. I’m so looking forward to a break from school work, as are we all. The BF taking over Theo’s work has been amazing - honestly, if it were still just me we wouldn’t be doing hardly any of it other than reading together and practicing his rainbow words. 

On everyone’s minds is what happens in August. Teachers are scared to return to unsafe conditions, and I don’t blame them. Personally I don’t think there should be any in-person school in the fall if we haven’t seen a significant, consistent decline in infections - but it’s easy to say that because I’m a stay at home mom. Having kids at home doesn’t affect my ability to work, unlike most parents who are really struggling. It’s an impossible situation, like everything stemming from this virus. Everything is impossible. 

Even if there is some part-time school, I see our fall looking very different than I had imagined. In addition to having zero band gigs, no travel, and no event to plan for, I don’t have any need for an afterschool program even if there are any. So I picture for the first time ever, walking up to the school and picking them up. I might even try having them leave on their own and meet me part of the way (I still want the kids to be able to walk home alone at some point). I expect our evenings to be a lot more relaxed - which isn’t a bad thing. I picture the same level of relentless togetherness with *maybe* brief stints of school time to break things up. We’ll find out soon. 

Much to my chagrin, my regular camera guy who I was relying on to run my live stream virtual event surprised me by saying he had signed an “exclusive agreement” with another event that he “wouldn’t participate in another competition event live stream”. Um...what?? Why he would agree to something like that, I have no idea, and why another event - and I know who it is, being as there’s only one other competition event in our world - would try to intentionally screw me right now, is infuriating. Just a series of bad decisions on their part that was already guaranteeing their downfall. I don’t predict them surviving this no matter how fabulous their live stream is. Harrumph.

So I panicked briefly but then reached out to a million other people. I think I’m going to go with a guy who’s been a part of my event for decades and has a lot of experience running his own live streams. He can’t do some of the high end production stuff like the other guy, but I believe I can fill in the gaps. I’d rather have someone who’s passionate about the project than a stranger who doesn’t really understand what we’re doing. So hopefully that’ll work out. 

My refi guy asked for another mountain of paperwork last night, including proof I’ve paid my April and May mortgages on time (thank god I did) and received my tax return, etc etc. We won’t hear anything this week. Sigh. 

I’m still trying to figure out the right time to announce closure. I can reach out to my customers before I put anything on the website; I might do that sooner since for refi purposes I still have to appear “open”. I also want to be able to announce my virtual event soon or at the same time, and I need artwork for that. I also still don’t know my situation with the hotel. It’s a lot of puzzle pieces to fit together. But I’ll admit it feels good to be working on a project. I feel less like I’m letting the community down, and I’m already bolstered by the enthusiasm of the teams I reached out to who said they still want to be in the competition. I’m hoping this spreads out to the other contests as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment