Thursday, May 14, 2020

Sabotage

A horrible moment yesterday when I realized I may just have screwed myself out of my chance to refinance. When I put on my website this week that we had closed registration and we’re beginning the process of canceling the event...little did I know that my mortgage broker just the next day would send the lending bank my website to show what a great, established business person I am. And they saw my cancellation notice, and now they are getting cold feet about lending to me.

Why did I put up that notice? Why?? I’ll never know the reason for this. But it may be one of the worst mistakes of my life.

My broker said I just need to send more documentation to show I’m solvent - more tax forms, more bank statements - and I had to painstakingly write a letter pleading my case, and beg my accountant to also write a letter on my behalf. Oh, and guess what? Just as I suspected, the door is closing fast on cash-out refinances. In fact it’s pretty much closed, so if they decline me, I may very well be out of luck. 

It’s a nightmare.

So, if they decline me, I won’t stop there - I have other brokers to try, and I can still try just a regular refinance and try for a HELOC later (although those are drying up, too). This is exactly what I was afraid of - that I would be sitting on a half million in equity and not be able to access a penny of it. It seems criminal that they’re even allowed to do this to people. 

I spent the evening frantically searching for and downloading documents and writing and re-writing letters; also, making an alternative plan for how to survive a year with no money. I have a small (very small) retirement fund I can (and should, really) liquidate; I have $6000 in cash, I have a $17,500 business line of credit. The BF will be able to pay his share soon enough either with unemployment or some kind of work; I might be able to borrow from my life insurance policy. It might not be a bad thing to not get this refinance - if I keep everything as it is now, my mortgage stays low and I don’t screw over my future. Perspective. 

But still...yeah. Pretty annoyed with myself right now. I think I just got fed up with pretending to be hopeful despite all the evidence to the contrary saying partner dancing is completely screwed for years. I felt like an idiot. And I just wanted to be truthful. Well, we see where that got me. A whole lotta nothing. 

Now, we wait. And wait. And wait. 





1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    Don't beat yourself up for posting that cancellation notice on your website. The people checking it will certainly have been aware of Corona and it's consequences, whether that notice is there or not. After all, that's the reason why everyone is trying to get money now, so Corona is what they are thinking of all day long anyway...

    All the best and good luck!

    ReplyDelete