Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Last days and June haze

Ah, June in Southern California. Haze, chill, and general moodiness, a brief respite before we’re plunged into triple-degree hell until Halloween.

I find I’m listening to Morrissey and knitting a lot more.

Monday I returned from my first-ever trip to Germany. We played a large event in the quaint town of Heidelberg. The event was delightfully young and fresh and had a progressive LGBTQ-positive vibe. There were lots of non-binary folx and same sex dance partnerships. So different from our stodgy, “I like to swing dance because I wish it were the good old days” middle-aged US bullshit. God bless those young people and their open minds and gender/orientation fluidity. God bless them, every one. 

Two days at home and then late tonight I leave for NY. It’s a bit stressful and I think most of us band members are kicking ourselves for agreeing to this tight schedule...but it’ll be ok. This morning I dropped Theo at his little neighborhood school for the last time. It’s weird to think I’ll never go to that place, ever again, after being there every day for almost a year. As if to solidify my feelings of sadness/guilt about leaving the school after only one year, as we were walking in an older Latina lady looked at Bobby and asked why he didn’t go there, and I said he goes to a different school. She then asked if Theo was going to stay here and I said no, he’d go to his brother’s school next year...she asked why, didn’t I like this school? It’s a very good school! I tried to explain that when B started his other school we didn’t even know about this one...in the end she seemed satisfied when I said the other school was closer. Someone told me last week that they’re discontinuing the ETK program there due to low enrollment. And despite my best efforts, Measure EE, a parcel tax meant to fund schools (result of the teacher’s strike, no doubt), failed to pass yesterday. Feeling all kinds of sad, weird, guilty feelings right now.

Also, hi, PMS!

Also, about to watch Season 3 of The Handmaid’s Tale. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. 

Also, hot Dutch guy we met for lunch in Germany is private messenging me saying how much he enjoyed meeting me. Ha. I have no intention of going to the party, but it’s nice to be invited, ain’t it?




No comments:

Post a Comment