Sunday, August 19, 2012

Doing the hula hula dance

Last night I drove down to San Diego for the birthday party/dance event of an old friend. I knew she'd be shocked and touched that I made the effort with a baby, and she was. It was her 40th, and having just been there and having felt a bit "meh" about the turnout for my party, I knew it would mean a lot.

This girl is an interesting case because seven years ago she had a baby on her own...from a relationship with a married man, who was immediately out of the picture. Somewhere in the last seven years the story has changed to the daughter being the result of a rape, which is just too hideous to comment on. Then when I saw her a few months ago with Bumpus, she said she was so glad I did donor conception because she's now telling her daughter that that's how she was conceived, too. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this...but I guess it's better than telling the girl she was conceived from a violent attack! What she'll do if the dad ever reappears and sues for visitation rights I don't know - but I suppose the odds of that happening are too low to consider really.

The guy who sued me twelve years ago was there. I wonder what he thinks when he sees me with this baby, which he has a couple of times now. I'm sure he's made many a snarky comment. But you know what's stronger than a snarky comment from a bitter ex-friend? A happy, glowing mommy with her adorable baby that everyone wants to hold. Bam.

Speaking of snark and negativity, I have decided to take my stoopit ex to small claims court for the $300 he still owes me from the $700 I lent him to fix his car back in 2010. I have texted him and Facebooked him about it to no avail; apparently he has a new girlfriend now so no longer feels the need to keep in my good graces. Well, I'll be damned if I'm going to let him get away with it, so I am going to start printing out records of everything I have and file before the deadline passes (apparently two years is the statute of limitations, which we'll hit in October). It's time to start thinking like a man, right? A man would never put up with this bullshit, so I won't, either. To court we go!

1 comment: