Thursday, March 3, 2022

Two years

It is March, which means we’ve officially been in a pandemic for two years. The words “grim milestone” come to mind, as we also are careening towards a million Americans dead. Good morning!

Saturday is the F’s birthday and he wants nothing more than to go to the seafood buffet we went to two years ago. Indoor dining is *kind of* a thing again, so I feel ok going to a place with no outdoor seating and taking the kids. I remember the F telling me that night back in 2020 that we probably wouldn’t be able to go to places like this again for a long, long time, while I scoffed in disbelief. Yes, that was back when I was mocking him for asking me to stock up on hand sanitizer and masks, and thought maybe dance events in March and April might be shut down but my event in September would be just fine. It feels like a million years ago.

This year, the birthday invitations are flooding in. Parents, like me, who have had to deprive our young children of proper birthdays for two years, are chomping at the bit to get back in action. I’m glad to see most parents are having the same thought as me - that by kids’ 10th birthdays you really don’t need to invite the whole class anymore. It seems like the trend is small parties doing special activities. Theo’s fellow students are still doing big parties. I wonder if I can just drop him at the party and leave now…? I don’t know social etiquette anymore.

This weekend should be eventful - I drive out to the desert at 5 AM, meanwhile picking up some tasting cakes with less sugar (maybe these won’t give me diarrhea, like the last ones did…?). I was going to go alone, but we may need to place railroad ties for the arrival of the shipping container which is scheduled to arrive next Thursday, in which case I’ll need the F’s car and help. Either way we’re meeting with a new contractor and please lord let the third time be a charm, please. 




No comments:

Post a Comment