Monday, March 21, 2022

Summer plans

Summer has been on my mind. I’m not sure what to do with the kids. Parents are starting to look at each other and ask what camps are good - but I’ve had no good information yet. The local rec center camp we used last year, the kids have aged out of (or certainly Bobby has). I think this will probably be true for most of the inexpensive rec center camps - they’re really best for 5-7 year olds. At this age, they move on to specialty camps, and those are expensive. I found a basketball camp that’s local, but I asked the kids if they wanted to go, and they said no. I’m not about to spend $1000 a week for something the kids don’t even want to do. We have a week and a half with us on honeymoon and the kids here with their aunt, and they have one week of sleep away camp. That leaves six weeks of no plans. In years past this would be unthinkable, but now…I’m thinking…would it be so bad to just have a relaxing summer with no plans to speak of? I don’t relish the thought of being home with kids all day - making lunch, trying to get them out for exercise, especially when I’m potentially running my event, too. But we do have a pool, and the kids are pretty self-entertaining, and I can leave for errands occasionally now. So maybe it won’t be so bad. With the exception of the four summers I went to camp as a kid, I pretty much spent every summer watching tv from morning until night bored out of my mind. Maybe it’s doable this year. And next year I’ll be more prepared with a better camp plan. Right now I’m just terrified to spend thousands more for just a week or two of camp. I’m hemorrhaging money at the moment. 

Speaking of hemorrhaging money, it looks like there’s a plan to resume our cabin build. Contractor #3 got inside the place yesterday, and worked up a plan for the roof. Unfortunately due to shoddy construction he pretty much has to start it over, to the tune of $7000. That’s a lot. But it is in the process of blowing apart, so I can’t delay. He can start next week, and probably be done in two weeks, which gives perfect timing for us to spend spring break working on windows with the contractor. I’m pretty happy about that, since window placement has been a big issue from the beginning (and had been brushed over repeatedly by contractor #1) so I’m glad we’ll be able to do that in person, and that our week out there will be productive. Also, our shipping container is set to arrive today. After four months of no work, is it possible this is finally happening…?

Yesterday I had an unexpected positive experience. A local wealthy dancer has started holding dances at his large Brentwood mansion, and our band played. He basically invites only people he knows, and it’s vaxx-only and has food & drink. I was sort of dreading it the way I sort of dread all gigs, but it turned out to be really lovely. We’ve had a few other “we’re back!” gigs, but this one really felt like it - so many people came out of the woodwork, and everyone was so happy. Just tons of good will everywhere. I got so many compliments on my singing and my dress (this old thing? Literally - all my dresses are 80+ years old) which was unexpected. So just good vibes all around.

Tomorrow I drive out to the desert for the final (?) walk through of the wedding venue, and then have another gig in Irvine at night. It’s going to be a loooong day. Then Thursday is Bobby’s tenth birthday. Wow! 






No comments:

Post a Comment