Monday, March 14, 2022

Theo is eight

Yesterday we celebrated Bobby and Theo’s birthday although it was Theo’s actual birthday. We had a joint party at the trampoline park we last used for their 5th and 7th birthdays in 2019, at their request. Bobby invited three people and Theo, ever the extrovert, invited six. It was strange having to meet all new parents and kids - it reminded me of Bobby’s first year at this school and all the newness it brought.

It was also interesting watching them interact with other kids and not just each other for once. Just like all of us, kids are very different around their friends, and really come alive. At Theo’s age, the kids were very much like puppies - wild and all over the place, whereas Bobby’s friends were more mellow. 

The party itself was the usual chaotic mess as everyone signed in, got waivers, changed socks, and tried to figure out where to put purses and presents - that part sucked, with kids playing tag on stairs and jumping out of their skins with excitement. Once they were able to play it worked out well, and I got to know the parents, one of whom grew up in the neighborhood and went to the kids’ school. 

Thankfully I bought just the right number of cupcakes, and there was enough pizza, and we all drove home exhausted and happy. I gave Bobby his kids’ watch, and today I walk up to retrieve them to show them how to walk home, and at some point - maybe tomorrow? the kids will walk themselves home. It’s all happening.

Daylight savings did a number on all of us this morning. I was outraged when my alarm went off in the dark, although Bobby set his watch alarm and was up before me (to play with the new family Oculus, no doubt), and went right back to bed after dropping them off. I have a lot to do today but I fear very little of it will actually get done. I’m wiped from the triple stressors of the big band gig on Saturday, the party yesterday, and the time change. I just need to sit in a quiet, dark room for a while. 




No comments:

Post a Comment