Monday, August 2, 2021

Canceled

Not one to rest on my laurels, I canceled the event today. I thought, what possible information could happen in the next two weeks that would make me want to do the amount of frantic last minute work it will take to put this on? What could the news say that will convince me it’s suddenly safe to bring hundreds of people together to breathe on each other for four days? Our coronavirus infection numbers are not going to improve between now and then. So I closed the registration page and made a preliminary announcement that we’re assessing the situation and will update at the end of the week. I don’t want to shock people (some people reeeeally don’t pay attention) and I want people to know I’m on top of it. So that’s that. I’ll formally cancel on Friday.

I called the hotel and the person I’ve been talking to says I shouldn’t worry about being charged, but of course there are steps - she has to approach the general manager, I’ll probably have to put it in writing, etc. We don’t know what their decision will be, but I’m hoping for the best. 

I also have been slowly unraveling with the staff - I’ve told most of the key people other than some teachers, and of course everyone is supportive and, I would imagine, relieved. Quite a bit more to do tomorrow as far as informing people who work for me, updating the website, preparing for refunding 700 people (ugh). Still? WAY less work than trying to put this event together. WAY less. 

Honestly, I’m so relieved I feel like dancing across the floor like Tina Turner. I’m free, I’m free of this hot mess. And I can just sit and wait and watch until I’m damned well ready for next year’s event to begin. 

In other news, last night I pitched the F my fantasy hippie desert compound wedding concept and he was down (of course) so we’re going to head out there in a couple of weeks to look at venues. We both want spring, so it’s stressful wanting to hustle to get something locked down in time. I don’t know how the eff I’m going to pay for all this. I guess I’ll just do what I always do and pay first and ask questions later. 




No comments:

Post a Comment