Tuesday, August 17, 2021

First Day (yesterday)

The first day of school yesterday went well. Cars were lined all the way down the block. I have not seen that since March 13, 2020. That was the last time all the kids were together. The transition to afterschool went well, and I was glad to see the kids hot and sweaty. It means they’d been running around playing outdoors for two hours, rather than at home watching gamer videos. 

I picked them up and we went to get traditional first day of school ice cream. Neither had any homework, so we had a chill evening. Both liked their teachers. The year ahead remains an enigma. More than ever before, this school year is going to be one day at a time.

I had a bit of a cry in the car after dropping them off. Most of it is the standard “my babies are growing up too fast”, but it’s also everything else - how sad and scary and disappointing the last month has been, how robbed we all feel (everyone, of the sense of safety, and me, of an income yet again), how these years are slipping by and we’re suffering in a pandemic instead of really living. And yet, we are living - the kids are growing like weeds, we’re having adventures, I’m building a vacation house, I’m getting married. A lot of positive, life-affirming things going on despite all this. But still...it’s a lot.

Speaking of the cabin, work did in fact begin yesterday, with photos to prove it. I feel a bit bad about tearing down the old structure, but what can you do when the wood is all rotten? Now comes the time for making real structural decisions - the F and I did an exhaustive measuring and plotting session last night that left us both with our heads swimming - and I ordered the galvanized sink I’ve had my eye on for months. It’s finally really happening. I’m excited. 

It turns out the dive bar has zero interest in hosting weddings, so that’s that. Back to the drawing board as far as venues. I hope we come back from the weekend with some sense of clarity - I’d hate to return with no deposits put down, no date, and no idea what to do next. But that’s a distinct possibility. It may all be for naught, and we may miss out on spring entirely and have to push to fall or a full year. We’ll see what we find. 




No comments:

Post a Comment