Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Opening night

So I opened my event last night, for the first time since Feb 2020. All last year I wondered if this would even be possible in 2021, and for a portion of this year I was dead set against it (much like I was dead set against a second baby - hi, Theo!). Lately I’ve been afraid that despite all I’ve been through that nobody will end up showing up, that it will be a sad little pig hoof of a year with empty contests, no money, and all the right wingers patting their swollen bellies with glee over the libtard’s own discriminatory vaccine policies coming home to roost. 

But no. Opening night was a rousing success. The technical part worked perfectly, and as of now we are on track for a normal attendance year. Normal. Can you believe it? I’m over the moon. 

Of course this could all be fool’s gold - just the most enthusiastic few hundred up front, and then a steep drop off (much like waning vaccine enthusiasm). So I’ll temper expectations. Hell, the whole thing could still end up canceled. But right now things are looking really good, so I’m just going to let myself be in that.

It occurred to me last night that if I am able to financially delay my opening night, I really should. There’s no reason to be “open” for seven months. As long as the info is there, and everyone knows we’re on, why start selling? Why start customer service duties months before I really need to? My goal is to open in April or May of next year instead of Feb. Why not buy myself more time off, if I can? 

In other news, the camping weekend I have to admit was stressful for me because I just couldn’t get my head out of this registration stuff. It was freezing cold at night and boiling hot during the day, and we were in a spot that was pure loose dirt with no shade, so everything was absolutely filthy. I also had brought nothing to do, so while the men went off fishing and the other mom was away at a funeral or in her camper relaxing, I was alone with four screaming kids. It was not fun for me. So I think I probably did better than I would have had I been at home obsessing, but I also didn’t enjoy myself very much. 

We go camping across the street from the beach in Malibu in two weeks, right after school ends. I’m going to bet that for various reasons this will be far more relaxing for me. 

Seven more days of school! I think I’m counting down the days even more than they are. 




No comments:

Post a Comment