Thursday, June 17, 2021

Camping Point Mugu

Yesterday we returned from our post-school ending camping trip to Sycamore Canyon, a little spot just across the beach north of Malibu. I didn’t take many pictures because...well...it was stressful.

At the last minute I had invited a divorced mom friend and her 12 year old son, who I had only met once when he was really little. While I knew from the grapevine that he had severe ADHD and autism and she was really struggling, I didn’t know quite how exhausting it would be to camp with them for three days. The boy was very loud and raucous and felt unsafe to be around - he would swing (play) shovels at their heads, at one point he dropped their dog on its back in a really scary way and didn’t seem to care, and the poor mom was in a constant state of snapping at him to stop being inappropriate and listen, etc. The BF and I agreed the first night to not let the boys wander off with him - not that we felt he would harm them in any way, but just his impulse control was so non-existent we were afraid the boys could be lead into something unsafe. Bobby was pretty much over it after the first day. I was on edge the whole time. 

Also, the point of this campground is to spend the days at the beach - and as is often the case in Southern California, it was freezing cold at the beach - a constant icy stiff wind that broke our shade shelter in half, and the water so cold you could barely stick your toes in. So I basically sat under a pile of towels all day, stress ate and fretted over the boys getting sunburned, which they sort of did despite my efforts to the contrary.

In good news, I killed it on the food front - made camping pizza for the first time ever which was a huge hit, and used my new pie iron to make campfire cherry pies (those could use a little work tbh). 

Anyway, we have two more normal camping trips coming up - Kern River over July 4 and another coastal one up north the weekend after. I think I’ll keep it to just us. 

I also picked out an engagement ring on Etsy with the BF and it shows as sold, so I believe he bought it. It’s pretty. It’s going to be weird wearing a ring showing my relationship status. That is all. Now, we wait. 




No comments:

Post a Comment