Friday, May 28, 2021

What to expect when anything can happen

We leave for our first of many camping trips today. It couldn’t come at a better time. I can’t wait to rough it in nature with friends for three days.

When I return it’s all systems are go - we launch registration for this year’s event on Tuesday. Which means probably more hateful emails, possible technical problems, and the stress of watching the numbers come in and getting my first picture of what the rest of the year will look like. It’s going to be a huge stress bucket of a day. 

Up until recently I had fooled myself into thinking I might at least keep my old numbers, just based on people’s need to get out and do everything this year (that’s how I feel, anyway). But lately I’ve tempered my expectations. Considering all the right wingers I’ve permanently pissed off, those who can’t meet my vaccine requirement, those who can’t travel, those who are broke, those who have pivoted away from dancing, the lack of a new crop of beginners supplied by dance studios and smaller events and scenes, those who still don’t feel safe in crowds...that’s a lot of people I could lose. On my side is people who didn’t realize how much they missed dancing until it was gone and now don’t want to miss anything, and being the first event back pretty much anywhere. The BF thinks I’ll probably lose about a third of my people. With my budget skyrocketing (everyone wants more money, everyone wants their own hotel room, etc) it’s tricky to try to figure out what kind of profit, if any, I’ll come out of it with. Enough to get me through to February is all I ask. I still have not dipped into the SBA loan that’s been sitting in my bank account for a year, and the grant I applied for still may or may not show up. I’ll make it even if I lose money. But I have to admit I’ll be a little crushed if my numbers drop substantially - let’s say by more than 300 people. It will just hurt my pride a bit, I think.

Two more weeks of school and I couldn’t be more happy about it. Ah, to not drag our asses out of bed and hustle out of the house by 7:45! We only have to do that nine more times. Last year was so different because the BF was here all day and I had no event to plan so we could just malinger in the pool all day...this year will be nothing like that. It will be on me to make sure the boys don’t rot on YouTube all day, so I’ll be in full parenting mode most days, which honestly I’m not looking forward to very much. At least that will only be about 3 days per week as we’re camping the rest of the time. I don’t know how in the hell I’m going to get my work done with all this going on. I really don’t. 




No comments:

Post a Comment