Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Theo’s first day

Woke up an hour early today to hustle the kid (Theo) to his first day of school. It was surreal. As it was the first day for the school in general, it was a bit messy at the door - different people took his temperature three times, nobody knew what line to stand in, nobody was social distancing, but everyone was in good spirits. The “daily pass” I had printed the night before had expired (hence the term “daily”) so Theo was asked a series of health questions instead (and answered very definitively with a straight back and strong voice, bless him), then led off to the classroom he’s never been in. And that was it.



I hung with Bobby all day, and despite my intentions of going out and doing something fun and then walking up to the school, we instead just went to In n Out and then drove up to pick up Theo (to be fair the Chauvin verdict was threatening to drop during this time and I was a little afraid of being out and about. Instead watched it on CNN and had tears of relief). 

Theo had a great day. Without prompting, he said he was so glad to be back at school, and I’m so glad his day involves more than watching gamer videos and meme compilations. One of the reasons I wanted afterschool for him. I don’t know if Bobby will have the same reaction - he’s an introvert and really just wants to play Roblox all day. But hopefully some part of his soul will be fed by just being in the presence of other children. 

I don’t expect this to not be a bit bumpy at times - bringing other people into your life will always bring some conflict. But boy is it going to be great to have something resembling something normal around here. Drop kids at school. Pick kids up from school. Hear about their day but also have no idea what goes on at school and be happy about that. That’s how it should be.

While waiting for the verdict I started plotting a fantasy Greek island trip for me and a friend for sometime in the future. I absolutely loved the Greek islands on a tour I did some 12-13 years ago. I would love to go back, especially to get to stay at amazing Airbnbs there, which are cheap and plentiful. Well. Aspirational travel is my new passion. I’ve mentioned that, haven’t I??




No comments:

Post a Comment