Sunday, April 11, 2021

Last week of home school

This will be, hopefully, our last week of homeschooling. Unless of course things go so badly in the next few weeks that schools have to be shut again before June 11; I’m going to posit that if that really happens, we’ve got way worse problems on our hands than kids missing the last couple of weeks of school.

A lot is going to happen this week. First thing tomorrow morning I have to get covid tested so I can have skin cancer surgery on my neck Thursday (ugh). At four tomorrow I have to take the kids for their covid tests (ugh). The SBA loan that was supposed to start accepting applications last Thursday was such a cluster fuck that they shut down the whole process; I’m going to guess it’ll be back up this week (ugh). Saturday I go to record the remaining songs for our bands’ new CD, which is always excruciating, but now even worse since I’m so hopelessly out of practice. 

BUT I’m not complaining even though it sounds like I’m complaining. As stated in my last entry, I got my first shot. How? Basically, was musing about it in my feminist FB group and was roundly encouraged to just make an appointment and go - say I work in childcare or some such thing - and just get the damned shot. Nobody’s checking, nobody cares, the vaccine sites are largely empty and everyone just wants shots in arms. So that’s how that came about. Now, like so many in my age group, I’m in the in-between phase - kind of starting to be safe but not really; my real safety date is May 19. It’s a strange hopeful sort of limbo.

But with everyone being eligible in just a few days, there’s a tremendous optimism - I feel like last week was that horrible week in March 2020 but in reverse - every day a new announcement of something opening - Disneyland! The Hollywood Bowl! Campsites! Restaurants! Movie theaters! - and I for one am on the “I can’t wait to throw my mask on the fire and pretend all of this never happened” camp, as opposed to many of my friends who intend to scale back their social activities for some time (or so they say now). Will this all be reversed in a few weeks when we hit a wall of people willing to be vaccinated and variants take over, and all of our progress here in CA starts to vanish as numbers tick back up? Possibly, but unlikely. It’s the rest of the world I’m worried about - Europe, Brazil, India - the US is mostly doing ok and CA is kicking butt. But I do predict that we will get to the end of people desperate to get the vaccine sooner than we think. And that could cause problems. 

The first week of school for the kids is going to be a bit of a pain in the ass. That Monday I think the kids will still be online only - possibly just working alone since I think the teachers need to be at the school training. Tuesday Theo starts but not Bobby; Wednesday Bobby starts. I still have no idea if we’re morning or afternoon, if we can have a couple of extra hours for on-site activities, and if they’ll get lunch at school or if I’ll still be making lunch every day. The parents are apoplectic about the lack of information and inability to plan, as you can imagine. I’m guessing we’ll get our assignments maybe tomorrow-? No matter what it’s going to turn our lives upside down since we’ve been doing this one way for a year. Sigh. I hope things will be normal in the fall. 




No comments:

Post a Comment