Monday, April 19, 2021

Here we go

School returns tomorrow, although nothing like we remember it. Hopefully this eight week blip will be just that. A strange in-between time of social distancing at school until normalcy returns in earnest in the fall. Maybe.

One of many firsts, I took the kids for their first proper haircut in probably a year and a half today. I will also do my first grocery trip this week. Might even squeeze in an actual household shopping trip as well. And outdoor lunches. Lots of those.

I’ve assembled Theo’s backpack and printed his Daily Pass. I wrote a note to myself to not forget his school-issued ipad and charger, and wrote his name in his masks. The BF bought the boys lace-up shoes yesterday; we had a crash course in shoe tying last night and they kind of get it, but we agreed they’ll wear Velcro shoes at least this week. I can’t wait twenty minutes for them to tie both their own shoes in the morning, and if they come untied (and they will) the teachers can’t get close enough to help them. So, strange times, huh? “No lace-up shoes” is not a consequence of the pandemic I would have predicted. 

Until an hour ago I still didn’t know what time I’d be picking up Theo yet - there’s been no communication about afterschool availability. Finally emailed the principal (I hate to be a bother) and she confirmed it’s on, so I’ll be picking up Theo at 4 and not 11 AM. It’s going to be weird having Bobby home alone all day. I wish they had the older kids going in first so the littler kids don’t have to be the guinea pigs, but c’est la vie. Then Wednesday they both go.

This is it, the moment I’ve dreamed of for thirteen months, never in my wildest dreams thinking it would be this long. Part of me has to make that mental adjustment all parents have to make upon sending their kids away somewhere - they won’t be under my protection anymore. They will be back under the influence of other kids and adults. They will be potentially in unsafe situations. Nobody will be monitoring if they’re eating properly or cleaning up. God knows how Bobby’s ongoing toilet issues will be during these long days. I guess we’ll find out the hard way. 

In the meantime...yay?




1 comment:

  1. For what it’s worth, my first-grader went back 3 weeks ago and be it’s been glorious. And felt much more normal for him than I would have expected, given the precautions.

    ReplyDelete