Monday, April 29, 2019

Home again, off again

This last weekend I had my annual trip to DC to sing with my orchestra. I got home late last night; tomorrow night I leave for Korea for a week. 

Of course this would have to happen right in the middle of field trips, teacher appreciation week, and homework packages due. I’m concerned the boyfriend will not be able to keep all of this straight no matter how explicitly I spell it all out. But this is one of those times I’m just going to have to breathe and let shit go. I’m getting free childcare for a week. Let’s not look a gift horse in the mouth, shall we? 

Countdown to end of school has begun. I’m already looking at Theo’s charming little neighborhood school with some nostalgia. He’ll have only spent one year of his life there. Will he even remember it? Will he remember his teacher, their spring chicken hatching project, his friends? Probably not. One day soon we won’t be driving that way - over the train tracks, over the 110 freeway - anymore, instead only up the steep hill to Bobby’s school, which we’ll probably be driving to for seven more years. Leaving that school for the last time will be very emotional. 

And yet I still feel like I’m doing the bare minimum when it comes to these kids and their school days. I always pictured myself being super involved - making cookies, joining the PTA, volunteering in the classroom. And yet I find I barely keep up with the homework, permission slips, and school projects. I feel like I’m continually asking myself - where did all my free time go? Is it true that when you need something done, ask a busy person? Is all this free time I now have inversely proportionate to how efficient I am? 

I need a new purse, new underwear and socks, new bras. I need to figure out how to style my hair, I need to look into getting lash extensions so I can better get away with wearing no makeup. Mother’s Day is coming up, as is camping trips, Portland, New York, Germany, and Boston. My event is coming up and I am impossibly behind. Sigh. Well, at least I can go to Korea and focus on singing and not have to do anything else for several days! 




No comments:

Post a Comment