Monday, April 1, 2019

Spring has sprung

Spring is here bringing with it the seduction of LA’s ubiquitous flowering citrus trees, Jasmine, and desert sage. It’s intoxicating. Nights are warm enough to sleep with the window cracked open and I’ve switched to a light jersey nightgown. 

Today was a day off school and as usual I had made no plans. We went to a nice park in an elegant neighborhood with a long path I thought the boys could ride their new scooters on - but Bobby didn’t want to, and then Theo tired of it because he was bored without Bobby. They were only entertained by the playground for a few minutes; Bobby kept complaining of being too tired so I suggested we find a shady spot where he could lie down; but of course Theo had to jump on him every two seconds because he was bored. I finally managed to engage them in a desultory game of catch with a found soft ball, but eventually we just packed up and left. We went to the local library to get books, something I’m ashamed to say I have never done with these kids, not once. Before you freak out, here’s why: Bobby only started taking a real interest in reading in the last few months - before then our home library was always sufficient, but now he needs new books to read every week. Before then the idea of making time for library trips, keeping track of the books and making sure they didn’t get mixed in with our books and making sure they got returned, just seemed like a giant pain in the ass. Not to mention keeping them safe from a rampaging non-reading little brother. So, yeah. Not on the top of my list of activities for us. 

So we got books, they read for a little bit (Theo just looking at pictures), we got in the hot tub, we had dinner (which they barely touched), I put them to bed. They were a bit of a hot mess today. We’re in this odd phase where Bobby is doing a bunch of new things Theo can’t do - reading, playing video games - and so Theo has lost his playmate and takes it out on me. It was the BF’s idea to bring video games into this house; he doesn’t realize that it does the opposite of occupy the kids for me so I can cook/work/etc - it occupies Bobby and then makes Theo tear the house apart with boredom and then come climb all over me and drive me nuts. 

I know there will be many phases in our life where Bobby will outpace Theo in something and Theo will take it out on me. This is just the beginning. 

BUT, it is now April. Our school year is wrapping up. Two more weeks until spring break (I’ve enrolled them both at the LA Zoo camp), then just six or seven more weeks before school is over, and more importantly, the phase of the boys being at separate schools is over. 

For me, travel season begins at the end of this month. I go to DC, then the following weekend Seoul, then two weeks later Portland, then two weeks later Heidelberg, Germany, then that weekend NY, then at the end of that month Boston. In July we go to Hawaii for my birthday week to stay in a yurt (or as Bobby would call it, a “shart”), August is Chicago and my event. We go to Denver, France, possibly Budapest again, and Austin in the fall. I’ve missed traveling. And I’m on my annual “I need to lose eight pounds so I can fit into my vintage clothes” diet for these gigs. I’m starving and I hate it. But I’ve already lost two lbs and I’m hoping to be down at least eight by Germany. Let the calorie restriction commence! 




No comments:

Post a Comment