Tuesday, December 11, 2012

First gifts, sockie shoes, and rat carcasses

So I bit the bullet and bought Bumpus his very first Christmas presents today. Here's the joy of shopping in the middle of the day on a Tuesday - nobody's in the store. Here's the drag of shopping in the middle of the day on a Tuesday - there's no stuff in the store. After what must have been an orgy of weekend mid-season shopping, the shelves were all but bare. My selection for the 3-12 month set mostly consisted of really loud, cloying musical toys that I absolutely could not stand having to listen to all day, every day. Don't any of these toy makers know about Artie Shaw, or Brasil '66, or Beck? No?

Anyway after almost giving up I turned the corner and found the aging hipster doofus parent aisle, which immediately appealed to me with its eco-friendly packaging and muted, vintage-y colors. I stocked up on cool shaped balls and squeezy blocks, then compromised with a fake cell phone and some building blocks. That and some new moccasins, socks, pants, a couple of lightweight jackets and a ridiculously cute elf costume (oh, just wait), and I think we're set!

I also just had a contractor over to assess my attic situation. He enthusiastically said it was a great space and could definitely support the weight of finishing and be a legal space (not a bedroom, but I could throw a bed up there and call it a day). So I know it can be done, it's just a question of how much (tremble). Oh, and there was a dead rat up there. Good times. Estimate to follow. I'm hoping in the neighborhood of $20,000. That's not too bad to add an (illegal extra bedroom) to your house, huh? This will probably add more value to this property than anything else I've done around here.

Last night I had an incredibly sexy dream about hooking up with the leader of a tough Hasidic street gang in my old NY neighborhood. It was very Romeo & Juliet, very forbidden and hot. Hey, I may be sexually dead inside, but I ain't buried yet!





5 comments:

  1. I knew exactly which aisle you were talking about before seeing the picture! Felix is getting some of those same items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I miss most about being at work is shopping on Tuesday Mornings!! Great choice of toys! I always liked the Baby Einstein line of toys as I found the digital Mozart music slightly less annoying than the usual stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got those same soft blocks for my kiddos. :) At least you didn't have to find the dead rat (and neither did I in my garage). Hopefully all the rats at both our residences are dead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm familiar with that aisle too! I like to think it contains toys that require kids to use a bit more imagination than some of the other toys out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the same "B" blocks for Jordyn for Hanukkah. :) Glad you finally found some things you liked. A dead rat in my house would scare the $h!t out of me! Hell, a spider in my house scares the $h!t out of me... Glad it's possible to build the illegal bedroom, though!

    ReplyDelete