Thursday, December 27, 2012

...and so it begins

Construction began today. The staircase to the attic is in. I'd sneak up there now and peek, but there's nothing to see yet; also it's really creepy after dark. One quick look today and it seemed a lot smaller and more cramped than the last time I saw it; I had worked it up in my mind as this huge palatial space, but in fact it is what it is, an attic crawl space never meant to be used for anything.

I balked at the giant ugly sewer vent pipe that stretches across the whole back of the place, and the contractor offered to re-route it for free since I'm painting and not staining the cabinets. Originally it would have cost another $500 to move it. So, that's good.

I spent the day in the living room in the rocking chair, alternating the baby between diaper changes and feeds and jumper and playpen. He seemed ok with this arrangement, especially considering we haven't left the house in two days. So far the casualties are: for some reason a framed picture in the dining room fell off the wall and smashed to pieces, a kid's drawing I had on the fridge got torn in half, my bathroom mat was covered in dirty boot marks (in the washing machine now), and there are dirty handprints and scuff marks all over the hallway walls that I just had painted. But considering this is the last of the construction that will actually take place inside the living portion of the house, hopefully that will be as bad as the destruction gets.

Tomorrow is B's nine month pediatric appointment. I am so, so glad there are no shots tomorrow, just measuring and a general check in. I had hoped the one year appointment was it for a while, but it looks like we still go every three months, with more shots :(. Poor little lad. I'm glad he won't remember any of this!





1 comment:

  1. It's going to be a rough month - but it will be SO worth it! I'm so excited - I kinda feel like it's my home remodeling going on, too (only without the mess, LOL).

    ReplyDelete