Wednesday, August 12, 2026

First day of 7th and 9th grade

Today was the first day of school, and we got up far too early and then had to wait around until an appropriate time to leave. I of course hardly slept at all, fearing oversleeping and also dealing with the chaos of one of my instructors asking for a bunch of stuff at 10 pm that I will have to organize. 

But for the first time I got to watch the kids walk into their jr/sr high together, and that’s what they’ll be doing for the next four years. It’ll take a while to get the rhythm of when to leave/where to drop them and pick them up. I’m all discombobulated between being in a rental car that reeks of cheap cologne and this new daily routine.

The report was Bobby said his first day was “mid”, mostly railing about increasing restrictions on screen time at school and being generally unimpressed by everything that happened, while Theo seemed pretty thrilled. I’m hoping this means the best case scenario where he really steps up and starts to shine. At least he seems happy and excited about it, and that’s a good thing. I don’t know if this is a puberty vs pre-puberty thing; we’ll see what Theo’s like in two years.

Today I had a ton of complicated work and check-in phone calls with various staff for my event, all the things I had been delaying while the kids were still at home this week. Now I really have to buckle in and tie up all the loose ends I’ve been letting hang for months. 

Here are the boys on their first morning and then at the traditional post-first day ice cream stop:




No comments:

Post a Comment