Monday, October 23, 2023

Pumpkin patchin’

I had worried that the kids were getting too old for the annual pumpkin patch visit, but we went yesterday with the donor siblings as has become our tradition, and had a thoroughly great time. 

It started a bit messy as Bobby woke up with a fever and was lethargic and didn’t want to eat anything, and the H also said he felt achy and foggy-brained. Tested for covid - negative. Also one of the moms couldn’t make it due to work, so it was just two moms and three kids, which, unsurprisingly, was a lot more manageable. It’s odd to occasionally have a peek at what life would have been with only one child and no husband. Very, very different, as it turns out. 

I kept Bobby home from school today as a precaution. It was also the first day of my three-day stint volunteering for the safety valet drop off; apparently at this school every classroom asks every parent to volunteer at least three days. I was (and am) happy to help out (anything but being booster club treasurer - lol), but of course as an introvert it was a little excruciating. It was typical of my school volunteering experiences: I show up far too early and am the only one there for a good 15 minutes; because I’m the only adult, people start asking questions and beginning the responsibilities even though I have no idea what’s going on and I just have to jump in and act like I know what I’m doing; nobody really explains anything so I just go with it, then in a rush it’s all over. At least having used the safety valet every day myself, I already knew the concept of waving the cars down to the end of the line, opening the doors, saying good morning, etc. The family dynamics were interesting. The parents who don’t look at me or say anything to me are the ones with kids who don’t look at me or say anything to me; the ones who are friendly and personable and make eye contact have kids who do the same. One particularly delightful little boy who gave me a huge smile and “good morning!” had a mother who also was very friendly. Funny how that works. 

Two more days of volunteering, and for sure we’re leaving later after today. Then on Friday I’m working Theo’s class’s snow cone booth at the harvest festival for an hour; over the weekend we’re headed to the desert to have a cabin visit and attend the memorial of the man who ran the location where we got married, which should involve some pot luck items on my part; on Halloween we’ve been invited to a party which also involves pot luck items on my part. So there’s a lot of non-work related labor coming up soon. I bought the most ridiculous chicken costume I could find for Halloween - I find it’s just better when I’m wearing something silly. With the kids older and less maintenance on Halloween I feel like I have more freedom to participate. 




No comments:

Post a Comment