Thursday, December 15, 2022

So far, so good

Nobody’s sick! I’ve become so obsessed with this issue that at this point I’m just counting the days - here’s another day with nobody having any symptoms of anything. Hooray.

Both boys were able to be in their winter program, which was delightful. Every time a new thing returns that we had in the Before Times, I feel a combination of happy to have it again and bitter for the two years we missed that we can never get back. Theo’s end of kindergarten and all of 1st grade are a blur to me, as is Bobby’s end of 2nd grade and all of 3rd. I remember very little of those years, and I know my brain is doing this on purpose. Snapshots of our quarantine times for me are rocking on the porch swing in my pyjamas, walking up the hill to school for a hike listening to the Spooked podcast who’s opening song became a pandemic theme song of sorts, taking the kids to In N Out drive thru on Fridays to celebrate another week of homeschooling behind us, complaining about being bored. Ugh. So glad that’s over now. Despite numbers rising and sickness all over, this December is shockingly normal, with gigs and concerts and gatherings everywhere. We may have to slap on masks again soon - I’ve already started wearing one in crowded indoor situations - but things at least are staying open. 

The boys have one day of school left that will no doubt be just watching movies and having little parties. Then…they’re all mine for three weeks. I don’t mind admitting I’m panicked about what to do with them all this time, day in and day out. Next week especially is a puzzle because there’s really no time to get out and do things during the day - every night except Wednesday I’m at Knott’s, which means I have to leave here by 3:30, which means I have to start getting ready around 2:30. I hate to admit it but I think we’re just going to be sitting around at home in our PJs. I feel guilty about it, but if I’m going to survive this endless gauntlet of shows night after night with any kind of voice left, I’m going to have to take it easy. Then once Christmas Eve hits I’m off the hook. I’ve noticed this cold snap *may* end around Christmas so I’m sincerely hoping we can still head out to the cabin for a few days. As of now it’ll be high 60s in the day and low 50s at night by Christmas Eve; right now it’s low 50s and low 30s which is not tenable. Our contractor is back and says he can start scheduling us - he alerted me he walked over to our place, which I already saw on our security camera. It would be the perfect time to be out there. I hope it works out. 

My plan for next week is to survive all my gigs and wrap all the presents each day. I also promised a from-scratch gingerbread house which I may attempt on my one day off (Wednesday). I’m plotting a Thanksgiving-style Christmas dinner as well since I didn’t get to make one last month. Much of my candy making attempts have failed this year (hot tip - using raspberry extract to flavor chocolate candies doesn’t work so great), but so far I’ve been able to supply somewhat passable candies as gifts to 13 book club friends, a handful of other friends, my sister and brother-in-law, and soon to six band members. I just wish more people liked coconut - the only thing I consistently make well is coconut balls.

So here we go - transitioning away from end of year school time into full-on holiday time, and next up is a whole new year, in which I’ll have to get serious about planning my next event, plot out the boys’ birthday parties (for the first time ever they want their own now), pray to jebus whatever this grant review thing turns out to be goes my way (still no word), hope we get some real work done on our place so we can actually move things out there and get more comfortable, and gear up for suddenly lots of travel (CancĂșn in Feb and possibly summer, Scotland in April, Vegas with the H, Hawaii for spring break, and two east coast trips in June - one a family wedding and one possibly a mini tour for our band based around DC). 

2023, I’m here for it.




No comments:

Post a Comment