Saturday, December 10, 2022

Sicky season

Everyone is sick with something this month, so it’s not surprising it finally caught up with us. Theo had been complaining of a sore throat for a day or two - by Wednesday as I was going to pick them up (caught in horrible traffic coming from visiting my 98-year-old friend who was, for the first time, non-responsive), Bobby was texting me that Theo’s in a lot of pain, he’s lying down, etc. I knew something was up. When I got him he was quiet and lethargic and hot, so I hustled us all to urgent care. No covid (I’d been testing him at home, too, since the appearance of the sore throat) but positive for the flu. The urgent care experience was not as bad as I’d feared - while it took a while before a doctor could see us, we were only in the waiting room for a short time, so at least got to be away in a private room for most of the wait. I kept Theo home Thursday and Friday. That night he was pretty out of it and his breathing was labored and wheezy (that part scared me a lot) but the doctor said his lungs were clear and everything sounded good, so he just needed rest and recovery. 

So I’ve been on sick watch - Theo’s worst fever was in the doctor’s office at 103, but since has never been over 101, and disappeared entirely by Friday. I think it’s safe to say the flu for Theo was fairly mild. Who’s next, is the big question? Sadly back in September I declined to get the boys their flu shots, since they had just had covid boosters and I felt guilty. So this sickness is on me. Bobby has a cough now so I’m afraid he’s next. I hate the thought of them missing their Christmas show on Tuesday - Theo can go, but Bobby of course won’t if he’s sick. But that’s the way the cookie crumbles I guess. Both adults got the flu shot so I’m just crossing my fingers that we don’t get it. My Knott’s Berry Farm residency starts tonight and I have eight gigs in the next two weeks that I really don’t want to have to miss. Sigh. Welcome to the sickest December ever - apparently between covid, flu, and RSV, pretty much everyone is sick right now. I figure it’ll be a miracle if the remaining three of us get through this month illness-free. Here’s hoping.




No comments:

Post a Comment