Monday, December 26, 2022

Post-Christmas mehs

It’s strange to be in this vacation jelly mold where days drift into each other, punctuated only by desultory meals and emptying of the dishwasher, and yet still have this underlying river of terror that one or more of us will get sick and make our travel plans have to be canceled. The kids I’m not worried about - they haven’t left the house in days - but I’m holding my breath to see if I caught anything at the very crowded indoor gig I had Friday night, and of course the H is still working with the public all week with no masks. I don’t know why it seems like such an inevitability that we’ll get ill - plenty of people won’t, after all. I guess news of two of my holdout friends getting covid in the last few days is not helping. Just a countdown now, I guess. I have an outdoor dinner with book club gals tonight but that’s my last socializing before we leave Friday morning. 

Our Christmas weekend was good. I feel like after years of trying new things, we’ve gotten a bit of a system down now. I had my final gig Friday (what a relief), then Saturday we took my friend out for Christmas lights and Chinese dinner, then yesterday we opened presents, took naps, I made an elaborate dinner (which I found mostly repulsive if I’m honest), then spent time in the hot tub. The H, bless him, bought me all of the suggestions I’d sent him to choose from (I had meant for him to get me one of the things, ha ha). The kids loved everything they got, but of course are now just on their iPads while toys litter the floor. Today’s the big cleanup - my goal is to find homes for all this new stuff and take down the tree and all the decorations. When I’m done with Christmas I’m done with Christmas. 

I wish we were in the desert, but we’re not, so I’m just going to try to get out and touch grass little this week, keep everyone fed which is my only job at the moment, and do the last of my overeating while I still can. 




No comments:

Post a Comment