Saturday, December 26, 2020

A very pandemic Christmas

We Christmassed. Christmas Eve we did our usual drive through Hastings Ranch to look at lights (sans friends this time), then brought home Chinese food. Earlier in the day I drove all over town dropping off home made candy on friends’ porches, then I made gingerbread men and prepped overnight cinnamon rolls, we got the kids to bed, put out the presents, and collapsed.

The next day was the usual orgy of trash and batteries and help needed setting things up - but I have to say, I’m pretty proud of these kids; maybe it’s the posting of the Christmas rules every year, but they are always very well behaved; they appreciate even the non-fun presents, share nicely, and there’s no meltdowns or whining or fighting. Some friends shared horror stories of their kids’ behavior. I get it - our kids don’t always act the way we want, especially around high stress occasions like holidays or birthdays. But I think there’s something to be said for plainly laying out expectations and making sure they’re understood. Either that or my kids have just finally reached the age where they have better self control. Who knows. At any rate, it was a pleasant enough day (I collapsed in bed for a nap at one point though - my shoulder pain woke me up at 5 AM, and I was way over stimulated). We did the thing. The holiday trifecta has been survived, and under pandemic rules, too. 



And so...now what? Week one of the three week winter break is over. I’m going to get a jump on my taxes next week, while trying to keep these kids entertained all day. Then we kick 2020 to the curb and hold the collective prayer that 2021 treats us better. 

All of us dance organizers are looking at each other wondering if we’ll be able to operate this year, and if so, what it will be like. When will we get vaccinated? When will the kids return to school? The possible new COVID relief bill brings promise of new small business help...as long as fucking Trump doesn’t sabotage the whole thing, which looks likely at the moment. God. Only 25 more days under the iron grip of this asshole. I am literally counting the seconds. 




No comments:

Post a Comment