Thursday, March 19, 2020

Day four

After posting in my feminist FB group about hating the school work, many women advised me to not stress about getting it all done. It is way too much, and not realistic. So I said fuck it and we’ve just been doing small amounts each day, sort of like normal homework instead of entire days of work. It’s just enough to assuage (most of) my guilt while not throwing the schoolwork out entirely.

Governor Newsome has hinted darkly that schools will not just be shut for the two weeks originally stated. Well, we all knew that. I do not expect schools to reopen this year at all - but I’m sure they’ll just keep extending the opening date bit by bit to keep people from freaking out. I think we’re meant to hear something tomorrow. Get ready for a collective groan from all LAUSD parents. All I can say is, they’d better fucking run school all summer to help our asses out. 

Yesterday I rallied a bit and got us out of the house for a short hike in the neighborhood. The boys whined and complained the entire time. I have to say a little sunshine and fresh air helped me a lot. I had originally intended to try to hike in the morning before the BF left for work each day, but my inability to get out of bed before 10 AM plus the endlessly shitty weather has made that impossible. If I woke up to warm temperatures and sunshine it would be different, but it’s been cold and grey and rainy for two weeks, and it shows no sign of letting up. So I just shrug and stay in bed until the kids start yelling from the other room that they’re hungry. 

Emotionally, the boys are fine. They don’t miss school or their friends at all. They are delighted by the amount of screen time they’re getting, and attention from me. I’ve been baking a lot, and I read a chapter from Harry Potter to them every night, and we eat three meals a day together. I make sure they get dressed and brush teeth every day, and do *some* school work and violin practice, but other than that...meh. I’m keeping expectations low. I hope at some point some kind of virtual classroom can be set up so Bobby can be plunked in front of the computer to at least learn from a professional each day - but I know that may never be possible. 80% of LAUSD kids are on free or reduced price meals. Like these households are going to have internet and computers! 

With all my baking I ran out of flour, milk, and butter. I asked the BF to get some on his way home. Other than not wanting to drag kids to the store, and wanting to limit infection possibilities to only one person in the house, quite honestly I’m scared to go to a store right now. My last shopping trip a week ago was quite enough for me, with the crazy crowds and unstable, menacing energy. I’m pretty shocked that a week later the stores are still like that - empty shelves, desperate people. Haven’t we figured out by now that we’re not going to be left starving in our houses, even in the worst case scenario? My mind reels at the massive amount of food waste heading our way - most people don’t have the slightest clue how to cook or meal plan or efficiently store food for long periods; this is going to be a disaster on so many levels. I’m going to have to resume shopping at some point...I’m hoping the worst of the insanity dies down soon. But I’m not going to hold my breath.

Still waiting to hear from Amsterdam, but all of our April gigs are off. No DC, no Houston, no San Luis Obispo. No concept of what will happen to my event, no word from the refinance guy. I’ll call him Monday if I haven’t heard anything by tomorrow. God, I hope he has a plan for me. To refinance and then get a heloc for as much as I can would be ideal - then the money can just be available if I need it. But I need to be prepared if refinance isn’t possible. Then I’ll most likely need an SBA loan. 

My book clubs are starting to set up virtual meetings, and I’m going to brave a hike with a friend this weekend (while keeping a respectable distance). I’m hoping for some semblance of (online) sociability to return next week...but again...not holding my breath.




No comments:

Post a Comment