Monday, August 12, 2019

Last week

It’s the last week of summer camp. Already “first day of school” posts are appearing in my FB feed. Next Tuesday, that will be me.

I see friends my age that are on the opposite spectrum from me - here I am about to welcome my youngest to his first day of (real) school; some friends are on their last child’s last first day of school. That will be me in twelve years. How different life will be then! I’ll be (nearly) 60, hopefully my event will be in its mid-30s, hopefully my house will be long paid off. But here we are, at the beginning. This is the date I’ve had in my mind for years, dangled before me in the worst of the toddler days - fall, 2019, the year both my kids are in school.

I don’t mind admitting I felt slightly panicked this morning, thinking about it. What on earth am I going to do in just three weeks when my event is over and both kids are in school all day? Won’t I be bored and lonely? Well, somehow last year this wasn’t an issue - the time always manages to fill up. I’ve got band travel and endless house projects and next year’s event to plan. Not to mention my neglected registration system business, and my new tax routine, and a litany of other things that have been ignored for months. So, yeah, there will be a lot of catch up. 

This weekend I go to Chicago, then there’s a Monday with no school or camp, then the first day of school for LAUSD is Tuesday. With Theo in kindergarten, I basically hang around school for an orientation for a couple of hours and then pick him up at 11, so no work will be done for a second day. I am seriously going to hustle to get all the big projects done in the next four days so I can just focus on customer service until next Wednesday.

I am so dreading the early mornings. But maybe I can make them slightly less painful by changing our breakfast routine (right now very elaborate and complicated), not showering (I end up walking and then showering again two hours later anyway), laying out clothes the night before, etc. I’m sure I can get into a rhythm with our new reality. But for now I’m just going to bask in these last bittersweet moments. 




No comments:

Post a Comment