Wednesday, August 8, 2018

The summer of our discontent

It’s the summer of our discontent. My sister coined this phrase - between her home selling woes and now being in Brazil to deal with our mother’s mess (crooked landlords, recalcitrant banks), and my refrigerator woes and general Camp stress, we’re both just in it right now.

It’s hot as hell with no sign of letting up - triple digit temperatures and intense dryness that is killing all of my plants and trees, even the well established ones. I am desperately trying to nurse my old avocado tree back to life with regular waterings, which is, whoopee, another thing I have to remember to do every day. Trees are dying everywhere; our entire city is brittle and dry and dead. It’s so fucking depressing I want to cry. This is our new normal.

At least I have working AC. For this I am profoundly grateful. I won’t soon forget last year’s torture when my ancient AC broke and I had to endure interior temperatures of upwards of 96 degrees while I was in the throes of the final push before my event. That sucked.

After four days of repair guy visits, I still don’t have a working fridge. He was supposed to have “one last thing” to do this morning - only to pronounce that no, after four days of welding and fluids and replacing parts and charging, it’s not, in fact, the compressor or any of the other parts, but the computer system that’s shot. Mother. Fucker. This is four days of being interrupted and stuck at home, not being able to use the kitchen at all to cook for cranky kids, and going to the store each day to buy that night’s food to cook, always with the promise that that night I would have a working refrigerator. Now...who knows. The ice in the “freezer” of the mini fridge was so out of control that it was pushing the door open and everything was rotting; I had to chip away at that just to try to get this thing to limp through a few more days. Oh, and of course I have to pay for this part because it’s not under warranty. Another $200. And the repair guy says once the fridge is fixed try to sell it because it’ll just break again in a year or two. Sears and Kenmore, you can both go fuck yourselves. 

I finally broke down and bought a giant 5 gallon bottle of water since I’m sick of giving the kids toxic sink water to drink, and today I ate a brownie and watched Bachelor in Paradise while lying in bed in the middle of the day because I got my period five days early which now means I get to have it all during my event. For the third year in a row.

One more day of camp for Theo, one more day of preschool. Two more days of camp for Bobby. Then I have to figure out how to entertain them for three days before school starts. 

I long for cool fall days with my event over, my fridge fixed, my satellite kitchen set up and the real one being rebuilt, children in school, and everything right in the world. That day will come, in about a month.

But right now - ugh!




No comments:

Post a Comment