Monday, March 4, 2024

A blast from the past

This weekend we went out to the desert for our usual r&r and to get some projects done, mainly to paint and protect the raw wood of our outhouse and new overhang before the elements get to them. I like to think of our time there as a throwback to a simpler time (despite capitulating and allowing a tv, which, to be honest, has been a godsend keeping the kids occupied while the H and I work). 

Unfortunately, this weekend that “simpler time” involved having a sick kid with no running water, toilet, or decent supply of food. It also involved a massive wind storm that kept us trapped indoors and unable to do anything Saturday. Poor Theo woke up Saturday morning complaining of a stomach ache - oddly, Bobby had had a stomach ache all last week, to the point of even spending time in the nurse’s office at school one day - but nothing came of Bobby’s so I assumed it was just an odd coincidence. However, Theo started throwing up later in the morning. Thankfully I keep lots of enamel basins around, so no mess was made, but it was gnarly. I was worried and wondering if we should just head home, but the wind storm made that prospect pretty scary, too, so we didn’t know what to do. That night he complained his legs were hurting and crawled into bed with us; he was running a light fever. I googled for symptoms but couldn’t find anything that related to these things - and by the morning he was fine. The wind had stopped and we somehow managed to get two days’ worth of projects done in one - rubbing linseed oil into the wood of the outhouse and then priming and painting the overhang wood, plus hanging our sign and putting a rope on the security door so the wind doesn’t slam it into the window every time it’s open.

Now I’m holding my breath that whatever Theo had is not a virus we’re all going to catch one by one. The H said his stomach was messed up last week, too. Is it possible for once the reverse has happened and I’m the only one not to get sick? Is it covid? Was it food poisoning from the sketchy Farmer’s where we got dinner Friday night in Rialto? I’m gonna wait until Wednesday and see if we’re all in the clear. 

We can’t go back until April, and that bums me out. However, right now April and May weekends are wide open for visits, and that’s an excellent time to go. I’m hoping we can tackle a shower then - that would be a huge upgrade. But I’m pleased to say I was able to do my little bird bath all winter with no issues, and also we never once needed the heater, even when temps fell below 40°. So these are good things to know going forward. 

It occurred to me on this trip that I need to pay more attention to our spring break trip coming up at the end of the month - I rented an rv last fall, and booked two nights at a special Death Valley star camp, but beyond that I’ve left us with just some boondocking and no actual activities. While it’ll take us out of our way quite a bit, I’m considering booking a stay at the hot springs rv park we stayed at a couple of years ago - it has an amazing warm pool we can swim in at night, and they rent atvs which is something we’ve been wanting to try for ages. If it were just me, I’d be content to boondock in the Mojave National Preserve and stare into space for hours; but these boys need more stimulation. I don’t want them to be bored and hate these trips. They’re already complaining about going to our cabin (well, Theo is - I think Bobby’s more content with peace and quiet), which was something I had dreaded. So I may fork out a few hundred extra $$ just to give us a pool to enjoy and a fun day on an atv (availability pending of course). 

This week is parent teacher conferences again (their old school only did one of these, in November) and I’m interested to see if the boys will still get glowing reports. It also means early pick ups all week, so I’ve had to juggle some things. Headed to my second strength training class today. Hope it goes as well as the last one.




No comments:

Post a Comment