Tuesday, March 12, 2024

He’s in!

First thing this morning I got the acceptance letter that Bobby made it into the gifted program at Eagle Rock jr/sr high. So, years of speculation are now settled - he’s in! Coincidentally, all of the 6th grade classes are touring the school tomorrow, so that will be his first window into the next six years of his life. It was unlikely that he wouldn’t make it, but there was always that chance. I’m glad that’s settled. I hope the parents get another tour, too. It’s been a couple of years so I don’t remember much about it, and I have no idea how the school runs as far as how the schedule works for 7th graders. I *think* class starts a half hour later than Theo’s school (in California, junior and senior high schools are mandated to start no earlier than 8:30) but I don’t know when the school day ends or how much those start/end times are influenced by extracurriculars. We’ll find out! 

Theo was wait listed for the gifted program for 5th grade, which was also no surprise. I imagine there’s a chance he’ll get in for 6th grade when a lot of kids leave for junior high - but even if he doesn’t make it next year, odds of him getting in to the gifted program at Bobby’s new school are pretty good, since he’ll have all the points I’ve gotten for him plus now “sibling points”. 

In the meantime, it’s Theo’s last day of being nine. It’s funny to think that ten years ago I was starting to have labor pains but wasn’t sure if it was the real deal or not. That was my life a decade ago. It feels like a million years have passed. 

This week I publish my final podcast episode. I have done twenty - two special “mental health” episodes to round out the season, two non-CS interviews, and sixteen ex-CS interviews. Personally, I could keep going - I’m going to take a short break, but only to see if I can get more subjects. The last thing I can try is to post in the main ex-CS FB group looking for people who want to tell their stories - I imagine I’ll get a handful. But if I don’t get any, or enough, I may just end the project. I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished. I’ve created a resource that will live forever, which has helped people. It’s fucked me up a little bit, too, but it’s ok. Overall it’s been very cathartic.

I did my tour of the Hyatt yesterday and it was as expected - everything about the place was just too small for my event. I’m waiting on a bid from them so I know what the going offer is. But it occurred to me that other than renegotiating next year’s contract to include a Thursday night at my current hotel, there’s really no urgency to do anything else. Right now my public stance is going to be “sorry, room block is sold out” and that’s it. It sucks, and it will impact my sales, but the hotel won’t budge (because really, why should they?), and there’s no point in knocking myself out over it (there’s not much I can do, anyway). I’m waiting to see if they’ll add a few more rooms just to sell out existing nights for me, then I’ll wash my hands of it. 

I survived the weekend gig despite being in the presence of a few people who make me profoundly uncomfortable. I did my usual hide-in-the-corner thing, which is very effective. Next we all have to make a decision about how to handle this problematic guy, but that conversation is still muted from the weekend, so I’ll await instructions there. 

After a few days off I return to the gym today for yoga, followed by something called “yogalates” tomorrow, and a strength training class at my home gym on Friday. I’ve been exceptionally wiped out by the time change - I don’t remember being so adversely affected by it before; so far this week it feels like I’m being made to wake up in the middle of the night to get kids to school. Yesterday I just came home and let myself sleep. I felt guilty for sliding back into old habits, but I just couldn’t deal. My friend and I have decided to do a diet challenge for April. I’m skeptical I’ll be able to stick with it - I’ve failed utterly up until this point - but I’m hoping a little accountability will help. I’m going to do the 5:2 again as it’s the only thing that really worked for me. I just have to get back in the habit. I know from experience that the exercise, despite being good for my mental health, longevity, and strength, won’t do shit for weight loss unless I also cut calories. It would be great to lose some weight by summer, to fit into my clothes, etc etc. It’s all about forming new habits. I’ve been able to do it with exercise, so there’s no reason I can’t do it with the 5:2 again. Until April 1st I’m going to enjoy my birthday cake and camping food, however. 




No comments:

Post a Comment