Sunday, February 20, 2022

President’s day

We had no plans this weekend, which is a first since the pandemic hit. I had been adamant about filling every school holiday with trips, but I decided to just let this one slide. It’s hard for the F to take this much time off work, and I’m sick of hemorrhaging money, and I’m all planned-out. So, eff it. 

Yesterday we had a day that used to be commonplace but is now extremely rare - mom and boys fun day out. I realized this is entirely because of the pandemic; we’ve missed two full years of being able to spend days out in public. And it was fun. We went geocaching first - I think the boys always forget that it’s not as fun as they remember; we usually only find a few as compared to looking for many. I think we found three out of seven or eight attempts. But Theo found two and I found one. Then we had our standard In n Out lunch, got ice cream, and played in a playground for a while. I’m always surprised when Bobby, at nearly ten, still wants to play at playgrounds. I keep waiting for the cynical, jaded teenager to appear. He will - but not yet. The other day he said quietly from the back seat of the car that he thought his puberty was starting - turns out he was convinced the mosquito bites all over his body were pimples. Not yet, buddy, not yet. 

Despite having not tested as “gifted” on the OLSAT, B’s evaluation with a school psychiatrist (along with a few other kids) came back as “highly gifted” on Friday. I’m not sure what this means, other than it’s a good thing and we can apply for any school we want. I’m still wanting Eagle Rock. I hope I get wait listed for their elementary school so I can rack up points needed to get him in. 

I still have to think of what to do with them on Monday when school is closed. I may not do much. Get them out for a hike, maybe.

This week I finally get out to the wedding venue. The F is insistent on coming with me - and I would like him to come, because we need as many eyes and ideas on it as possible - but it would be a close shave getting back in time to pick up kids from school, and that fills me with anxiety. Anything goes wrong with the car, and delay in traffic, and we’re completely screwed. But beyond that I’m hoping to have maybe 70% of details nailed down because of this visit. I sent invites with a “.com” at the end of our website url that has our registry and rsvp on it, and apparently there’s no “.com” inexplicably on the actual website, so nobody can rsvp, which means I’m going to have to chase down 100 people to see if they’re coming or not. Not good times. Also, I was going to take my dress pictures to my tailor to see if she could make it for me when a friend PM’d me that she could make it (she’s a seamstress); she said she’d need to find a pattern. And now it’s been nearly a week and I haven’t heard a word from her…and a mutual friend advised me she can be kind of flaky. Sigh. So now I’ve got the awkward mess of having to a) go back to plan A and try to see my tailor next week, and if she can in fact make it, b) tell my friend thanks but no thanks. I just don’t know why everything has to be so goddamned complicated. 

My bandleader friend, also a lawyer, wrote me an alternate contract for the first desert contractor taking out all the weird blaming language, and I sent it to him, and he said he’d get to it. Hopefully now as February is finally winding down we can get the new guy out there - my container should be delivered in about a week, which means he can start on our whole bathroom set up. I hope I hope I hope. After nearly a year of being jerked around and false hopes, I have a hard time believing we’ll ever have a livable place out there; the idea of watching windows and doors be put in, an overhang, a real bathroom…this is the stuff only dreams are made of, right?? I don’t dare to hope, at this point. Something’s got to go wrong they’ll make it impossible for this guy to actually do anything, I just know it. 




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a plan for the dress, but in case that falls through... I got my wedding dress at David's Bridal (one of those giant wedding stores). It was gorgeous, exactly the look I wanted, and marked down to $99. I know you have a specific kind of dress in mind, but they had so many dresses, you might be able to find just what you want - without breaking the budget. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete