Friday, February 25, 2022

End of Feb

So much happened this week. 

The main thing was the venue visit, which went well. First, I drove smack into a snowstorm on the 10 on the way out there. Full on snow and dark skies and wet freezing roads. Even when I got to the parking lot where the planner, rental person and caterer were to meet, the storm was still raging. We all decided to take our chances and head up Old Woman Spring’s Road anyway, and it’s a good thing we did, because the minute we turned up it the storm was left behind us and it was a sunny but cold and windy day. 

It was, in fact, so cold and windy up at the venue that it was almost unbearable - all of our hands and lips froze and we could barely talk or write. But we, a group of all women (awesome) accomplished everything we needed to, even though the venue “manager” once again disappeared and wasn’t available for questions. We placed everything (I moved everything closer to create a more intimate atmosphere), took measurements, sussed out parking, a spot for the bathrooms, etc, and the caterer said they’d have no problem getting up there, and everyone agreed the wedding was going to be absolutely stunning, and I felt great about it. Then I picked up my tasting cakes and high tailed it home in time to pick up the kids. Phew!

I went to the tailor to see about getting my dress made and she was sort of wishy washy about the whole thing, ultimately setting a budget of about $400 for the dress and then a few minutes later $900, and then a whopping $1000 for the underskirt, which I could find on Amazon for $25. No, no, and no. I told my sister and she offered to make it, and we hunted down a pattern and I was set to go fabric shopping, after telling my friend who had offered to make it, and then this morning my sister emailed to tell me her step mother hunted down the company and demanded answers and now they’re saying they’re going to send it next week, so all plans to have it made have shut down again and I’m back to waiting around for a dress that I still may not even like when and if it does show up, six months after I ordered it. I’m exhausted. 

Our new contractor is now tasked with taking care of a friend who was in a motorcycle accident and doesn’t know when he can start work for us or if he can. In the middle of this we’re waiting for our 20 foot shipping container to arrive and we still don’t know where to put it nor do we have a surface prepared for it, and first they said it would just show up randomly one day with no warning, which had me in an absolute panic until the F called and they agreed to set a date of March 10 to deliver it, and miraculously the contractor is able to get away for an hour to meet us at the property tomorrow to decide where the container should go, and maybe make plans to lay some railroad ties to put it on. Most likely I’ll drive out there on delivery day, too, to make sure it all goes properly. Beyond that, I don’t know what’s going to happen out there. We may have to start all over looking for a new contractor. Or let it sit unfinished until next November when this contractor will be back in town. Sigh. It just gets better and better.

The tasting cakes were…not great. Sickeningly sweet; even the boys had just a bite or two and were over it. Every other place either is super flaky, can’t do the decorations I want, or charge 2x the price of this first place. I throw up my hands. 

I also spent several hours in utterly pointless school budget meetings in my capacity as booster club treasurer. 

And a visiting trumpet player has requested my presence as singer on one of his gigs in three weeks, but this requires learning 5-7 new songs. I wanted to say no - my brain is completely and utterly overwhelmed at the moment - but I felt like I owed it to myself, and to this guy, to start least try. But, ugh. I’m still working on Evergreen for the wedding and barely have half of that committed to memory. 

Did my taxes today - like everyone, my refund is dramatically smaller than I’d expected thanks to the advance payments last year (stimulus, child tax credit, etc). But thankfully I never count on getting a refund at all (you just never know), so at least the small amount I am getting will be a bonus.

Tonight I celebrate a friend’s birthday and I’m so glad to get away from all this and just enjoy myself for the night. My brain needs a serious break. 

Oh, and Russia invaded Ukraine. God help us all.




No comments:

Post a Comment