Saturday, December 4, 2021

Vaxxed and ready to rumble

The kids got their second shot yesterday. Theo surprisingly had a complete freak out, which ended in me and Bobby literally holding him down in order to get the needle in. I haven’t had to do that in many years, so I had yet another moment of reflection about how hard things used to be as opposed to how easy they are now. I’m not sure what spooked him; I think last time they went in with the ignorance of not having had a shot in a few years and this time they know how much it hurts. Well, hopefully this will be their last, and we now get to reap all the benefits - no testing before we get on the plane to Hawaii in two weeks, hopefully less restrictions at school later on, and, of course, actual protection from the virus in general. 



For me, so far this month I’ve been having a pretty chill holiday season. Most presents are bought now, even for the kids’ teachers and the cleaning lady, decorations are up, Christmas cards went in the mail yesterday, so now I just have to wrap presents and make candy to disburse throughout the next two weeks. The one thing I’ve failed at is the big splurge present I wanted to get for the F, a new phone. Apparently it’s almost impossible to do this as a surprise unless you can find an unlocked phone, which apparently are in such demand right now that there’s no way you’d get one in time. And I also don’t know which phone/what features he wants; it’s such a personal choice, like buying someone else a car, that this morning I decided to just give him a certificate saying I’ll pay half of a new phone if he picks one out. It’s not the same, but it’s at least something to supplement the usual bathrobe/pyjamas. Now that his printing press is back in action I don’t think he’ll have a problem paying half. The kids are getting new (used, cheap) IPads. They will be utterly delighted by this, and it’ll be just in time for the flights to Hawaii. I’m glad we’re on the same page that the days of piles and piles of plastic crap need to be left behind us. Let’s be real - these kids mostly just want to play/watch video games. I support this at least from an environmental standpoint.

Bobby and a few other kids were tested for intellectual ability by the district psychiatrist yesterday. His teacher had asked if I wanted this testing as sort of a “good to know” measure; I agreed to it because I figured why not? He came home from school and asked why I had sent him to a “headshrinker”, ha ha. I don’t know where he gets this stuff. It occurred to me, what if your kid doesn’t test well? How do they break the news to you? “While I’m sure a delightful boy, your child has not tested as having any exceptional abilities whatsoever.” 

Two more weeks of school, then a three week break. One week we’ll be in Maui, one we’ll just hang around, and then my sister visits for the final week in January (thanks, vaccines for kids). Then…2022. While omicron silently infiltrates society and we sit helpless. What, the fuck exactly, will 2022 hold for all of us? When I think about putting on my event, or attempting to, I get filled with dread. There is not one part of me that ever wants to do this event again, especially if covid protocols are going to be in our lives for pretty much ever at this point. I’m hoping I’ll get over that, though, and back into “work mode” at some point. I’m already resenting all the band gigs in the next two weeks, despite the fact that they’re entirely financing this Christmas - why can’t I just be cosy in bed every weekend watching movies? Why do I have to get dressed up and go out and be “on”? I’ve turned into a lazy sod in the pandemic and I don’t know how to break out of it.

Progress on the cabin goes at a snail’s pace, but every few days I do get updates - they are slowly chipping away at the roof, which currently is tar papered in preparation for tiling. I just made a plan to spend MLK weekend out there to do a walk through of the wedding venue with the new wedding planner and I’m unsure if I should find another place for us to stay or not - I think it’s unrealistic to expect this place to be done in six weeks, but maybe…? I might try to find places with a generous cancellation policy.




No comments:

Post a Comment